Mouthfeel, mouthfeel, mouthfeel - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing > Mouthfeel, mouthfeel, mouthfeel

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-03-2013, 05:07 PM   #1
PhineasJWhoopie
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 7
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts



So we brewed our first all-grain, a St. Paul Porter kit from Northern Brewers. The flavor is great, the alcohol is right on, the color is perfect, but it tastes thin.

This isn't the first time we've had issues with mouthfeel. A number of our extract brews had great characteristics, but poor mouthfeel. It's amazing how much mouthfeel affects the overall enjoyment of a beer.

We've thought of adding malto-dextrin but I hate adding sugars to beer. Any suggestions? How have you conquered this issue?




Ghghghg

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:38 PM   #2
beergolf
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
beergolf's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
collingswood, nj
Posts: 5,977
Liked 1194 Times on 813 Posts


Add some carapils to your recipe. Extract usually has some carapils in it so that is why your extract brews had more mouthhfeel.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 05:53 PM   #3
RM-MN
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Nov 2010
Solway, MN
Posts: 9,744
Liked 1747 Times on 1389 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by PhineasJWhoopie View Post
So we brewed our first all-grain, a St. Paul Porter kit from Northern Brewers. The flavor is great, the alcohol is right on, the color is perfect, but it tastes thin.

This isn't the first time we've had issues with mouthfeel. A number of our extract brews had great characteristics, but poor mouthfeel. It's amazing how much mouthfeel affects the overall enjoyment of a beer.

We've thought of adding malto-dextrin but I hate adding sugars to beer. Any suggestions? How have you conquered this issue?




Ghghghg
How long has it been since you pitched the yeast? Time is pretty important as you start brewing darker beers or beers with more alcohol. I try to leave my porters and stouts much longer before sampling because I have been brewing them long enough to discover that time in the bottle is where the mouthfeel changes. I'm sorry to tell you but my porters have developed that maturity in 2 1/2 to 3 months. You may have a wait ahead of you.

If you have that wait, brew up something lighter colored. A wheat (given a proper pitch of yeast, ozygenation, and temperature control) could be good to drink in 3 weeks.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:26 PM   #4
Djuhnk
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Lake Park, MN
Posts: 57
Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts


Mash at higher temps and add a pound or two of flaked oats

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 06:55 PM   #5
Tantalus
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Alexandria, Virginia
Posts: 113
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuhnk View Post
Mash at higher temps and add a pound or two of flaked oats
Body and mouthfeel are added to your beer when you have unfermentables in the mix. Mash temperature is the best way to control the mouthfeel without significantly changing the recipe. Here's a baseline that I follow for a single infusion mash (that may be wildly inaccurate, fellow brewers feel free to correct me):

Thin body - 148F to 152F: prefer 151-152F
Medium body - 153F to 156F: prefer 154F
Fuller body - 156F to158F: prefer 158F, above this point you may experience trouble with conversion.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 10:46 PM   #6
Djuhnk
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Lake Park, MN
Posts: 57
Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalus

Body and mouthfeel are added to your beer when you have unfermentables in the mix. Mash temperature is the best way to control the mouthfeel without significantly changing the recipe. Here's a baseline that I follow for a single infusion mash (that may be wildly inaccurate, fellow brewers feel free to correct me):

Thin body - 148F to 152F: prefer 151-152F
Medium body - 153F to 156F: prefer 154F
Fuller body - 156F to158F: prefer 158F, above this point you may experience trouble with conversion.
Exactly what I would have said if I wasn't being lazy haha. Except I think you can mash all the way up to about 170 without running into too many problems. I've mashed a few beers beginning at 162. The key here is that at the higher temps there are longer/more complex sugar compounds being converted so the yeast has a harder time fermenting them and more mouthfeel is left in the beer.

Flaked oats will leave a sort of slippery, heavy texture.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 10:44 PM   #7
BreezyBrew
IPA is my spirit animal
 
BreezyBrew's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
New Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,690
Liked 553 Times on 418 Posts


What was the OG/FG of the brew?

The kits that I bought from NB always tasted thin.

Agree with mashing higher or adding Carapils or Flaked Barley. I've found, at least with Carapils it's tough to meet your expected fg. So its a trade off.
__________________
- 99% Perspiration 1% Beer
- Sending brewmaster's kids to college since 2005

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 05:52 PM   #8
zachattack
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
, MA
Posts: 2,789
Liked 301 Times on 254 Posts


Is your thermometer calibrated? Missing the proper mash temp by a couple degrees can certainly change the body. Was your FG lower than anticipated?

Also, I'd wait to judge the beer until it's fully carbed and has conditioned for a while.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:06 PM   #9
Komodo
 
Komodo's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2011
Bloomington, IN
Posts: 386
Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts


You can still mash around 150 and add some rye. I've found that not very much adds silky mouthfeel without that heavy sugar syrupy feel. The mouthfeel is apparent way before any taste.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2013, 06:49 PM   #10
daksin
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
daksin's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Aug 2011
San Diego, CA
Posts: 4,617
Liked 357 Times on 311 Posts


To improve your mouthfeel, if you move to a higher mash temp, consider checking for conversion at 30 minutes so you don't spend an extra half an hour breaking down your nice long chain sugars back down in to short fermentable ones.
__________________
I can't be arsed to keep up this list of what's in the fermenters, but hey, check out the cool brewery I own!

twitter.com/2kidsbrewing .. facebook.com/2kidsbrewing .. 2kidsbrewing.com

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
mouthfeel a little off??? flyfishnc Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 9 06-21-2009 08:54 PM
Need more mouthfeel PavlovsCat All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 9 04-09-2009 04:49 PM
Got the mouthfeel I was looking for :) Matt Up North General Beer Discussion 6 02-18-2009 04:53 PM
Mouthfeel without adjuncts Matt Up North General Techniques 23 02-04-2009 05:26 PM
Mouthfeel tigerface Recipes/Ingredients 1 10-25-2008 04:41 AM


Forum Jump