Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Kegerator from Danby chest freezer

Old 09-13-2007, 10:00 PM   #1
mrkeeg
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Kegerator from Danby chest freezer

I noticed the Danby 5.3 cu ft chest freezer at wallyworld for 200 bucks.... That's about the same price as mini-fridges, but should fit more kegs, and possibly be easier to use. Anyone have experience with this particular freezer, or something simmilar?

From the Danby site the exterior dimentions are:

Product Width82.2cm32 6/16" Product Depth55.8cm22" Product Height83.5cm32 14/16"
so it should fit at least 3 ball lock kegs... maybe 4? I might have to get them to open one up to measure the interior.

The freezer/kegerator would sit in my utility room, beer line sent through the wall to my kitchen/livingroom bar area.

PS: link to Danby site: http://danby.ca/product.asp?cod_prod...sel=0#features

Old 09-13-2007, 10:04 PM   #2
olllllo
[]-O-[]
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrkeeg
The freezer/kegerator would sit in my utility room, beer line sent through the wall to my kitchen/livingroom bar area.
Area of concern would be this. How long is this run?

Ginger Beer for Moscow Mules Bacon Vodka
Twitter

Old 09-13-2007, 10:09 PM   #3
mrkeeg
Recipes 

The run would be a 2x4 wall with gyprock on one side... that is, my kegerator sits one side of the wall, my taps on the other side - should that be okay? I may have to set up a cooling fan.

I looked at my fridge... having trouble imagining 5 kegs in it... but at any rate I think 4 taps should suffice.. and this freezer is cheaper than any full-size fridge... if it works well...

Thanks,
Keegan

Old 09-13-2007, 10:13 PM   #4
mrkeeg
Recipes 

A disadvantage of the freezer vs the fridge, though, is height... Lines from a fridge could come out at the same height as the taps.... with the little freezer I'll have to either boost the freezer (gives some storage room underneath, but would be a &*^% (trouble) to reach into it from the top), or run the lines and cooling pipe the extra 2ft vertically ...

Keegan

Hmmm... I wonder if the freezer would safely operate horizontally, with the door on the front..

Old 09-14-2007, 11:20 AM   #5
JnJ
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

That is the freezer I used, see below.
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=20026