Falconer's Flight IPA - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Recipes/Ingredients > Falconer's Flight IPA

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2013, 09:56 PM   #1
ArrogantDusty
 
ArrogantDusty's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
St Louis, Missouri
Posts: 171
Liked 22 Times on 13 Posts



Let me know what you think of this recipe. I've put it together from stuff I had laying around.
5G
10lbs Gold Malt Extract
1.4lbs Briess Caramel 40L (steep)

60min - 2 oz Falconers Flight
45min - 1 oz Falconers Flight
1min - 3 oz Falconers Flight
Dry Hop - 3 oz Ahtanum

Your thoughts?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:30 PM   #2
temple240
Recipes 
 
Sep 2011
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania [PA]
Posts: 369
Liked 81 Times on 53 Posts


I don't know anything about the gold extract but 2oz at 60min is going to be harshly bitter and the 45min addition seems like a waste. I prefer to do a small 60min addition and get most of the ibus with late addition. A couple of weeks ago i made a pale with 4oz of FF hopbursted (all hop additions at 15min or less)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 10:56 PM   #3
aiptasia
 
aiptasia's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Them Scary Woods, FL
Posts: 3,487
Liked 544 Times on 481 Posts


You could rework this a little. I have the OG coming out at 1.091 in beersmith, which is on the high side for a lot of styles except maybe an old ale. I'd rework the hops additions and probably just go with falconers flight is your single hop. It's very delicious and perfect for IPA styles. Remember, Falconer's flight is a blended hop that has several hop varieties in it. It will have depth and complexity in the flavor and aroma. I promise.

I would rework it like this:

5 Gal
9 lbs Golden light DME (90%)
1 lb. Crystal 40 (10%)

2 oz. FF @ 60
1 oz. FF @ 20
3 oz. FF @ 1
3 oz. FF dry hop seven days

OG: 1.082
IBU: 37.5
Yeast: WLP001 (2 ml starter or three tubes)
Addl: Pure O2 addition for 1 min post-pitch
__________________
Paranormal Brewing
Beer so good, it's frightening.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.

ArrogantDusty Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 12:31 AM   #4
temple240
Recipes 
 
Sep 2011
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania [PA]
Posts: 369
Liked 81 Times on 53 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by aiptasia View Post
You could rework this a little. I have the OG coming out at 1.091 in beersmith, which is on the high side for a lot of styles except maybe an old ale. I'd rework the hops additions and probably just go with falconers flight is your single hop. It's very delicious and perfect for IPA styles. Remember, Falconer's flight is a blended hop that has several hop varieties in it. It will have depth and complexity in the flavor and aroma. I promise.

I would rework it like this:

5 Gal
9 lbs Golden light DME (90%)
1 lb. Crystal 40 (10%)

2 oz. FF @ 60
1 oz. FF @ 20
3 oz. FF @ 1
3 oz. FF dry hop seven days

OG: 1.082
IBU: 37.5
Yeast: WLP001 (2 ml starter or three tubes)
Addl: Pure O2 addition for 1 min post-pitch
What alpha are you using for the FF? Mine was pretty high and would yield way more than 37ibus with that hop schedule.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:29 PM   #5
aiptasia
 
aiptasia's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Them Scary Woods, FL
Posts: 3,487
Liked 544 Times on 481 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by temple240 View Post
What alpha are you using for the FF? Mine was pretty high and would yield way more than 37ibus with that hop schedule.
11.4% from my 1 oz. hopsunion bag, 2012 harvest. And if he uses an higher alpha FF, it will still be in line with BJCP for an old ale up to about 70 IBU's.
__________________
Paranormal Brewing
Beer so good, it's frightening.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 01:52 PM   #6
BreezyBrew
IPA is my spirit animal
 
BreezyBrew's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
New Tampa, FL
Posts: 3,690
Liked 553 Times on 418 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by temple240 View Post
I don't know anything about the gold extract but 2oz at 60min is going to be harshly bitter and the 45min addition seems like a waste. I prefer to do a small 60min addition and get most of the ibus with late addition. A couple of weeks ago i made a pale with 4oz of FF hopbursted (all hop additions at 15min or less)
^ This

When I did a FF IPA, I did .5 oz FWH and .5 at 60, and it was plenty bitter. OG 1.058
__________________
- 99% Perspiration 1% Beer
- Sending brewmaster's kids to college since 2005

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2013, 04:20 PM   #7
BridgeBrew
 
BridgeBrew's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Willmar, Minnesota
Posts: 103
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


I plugged all the numbers into beersmith and i come up with 1.080 OG, 50 IBUs, 11ish SRM and 7.9abv. 2oz seems like alot for bittering but you have to remember this is a DIPA in reality. I guess if were me id go with a smoother bittering hop like warrior or magnum and put those yummy FF hops to use somewhere in the 15 to 5 minute range of your boil.

1oz warrior 60m
1oz FF 20m
1oz FF 15m
1oz FF 10m
3oz FF 1m

DRY hop as you see fit, 2-4 oz

That works out to be about 54 IBU's

Give this beer some time to age and it should be very nice.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Falconer's Flight IPA ArrogantDusty Extract Brewing 4 03-14-2013 01:21 PM
Falconer's Flight daveooph131 General Beer Discussion 14 02-17-2013 04:12 AM
Falconer's Flight/Red Ale wailingguitar Recipes/Ingredients 23 06-14-2012 10:02 PM
Falconer's Flight 1.00/oz Steelers77 Sponsor Showcase 35 02-27-2012 03:46 PM
Falconer's Flight Hops Fid Recipes/Ingredients 1 02-18-2011 01:30 AM


Forum Jump