Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > New BC 16 gal pot and propane stove

Old 02-02-2013, 06:51 PM   #1
benfinkel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

Default New BC 16 gal pot and propane stove

Hello All!

My beer-brewing was only just getting started when I started having kids and thinking that boiling on top of my kitchen stove was not gonna work. I paused for a couple of years, but then for my b-day my (particularly awesome) wife got me a Bayou Classic propane stove and 16 gal stainless steel pot!

Needless to say, I'm now ready to brew again I had only made a half-dozen brews before I stopped, one kit and the others partial grains.

I think I'd like to make an American Pale Ale. Partial grain, but nothing too fancy. My time/brain capacity is limited (especially with the new baby and lack of sleep). I've also not thought about doing a 10 gal batch before but since the pot is so big I think I should.

Can anyone point me towards some good APA recipes, with decent ratios that I can scale up to a 10 gal batch? Should I plan on a 12 gal boil due to evaporation? How do I get 10 gallons of hot wort up on a counter so I can drain into the fermenter buckets?

Any other tips for someone making their first move out of the kitchen and into the driveway?

Thanks!