Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Do I need to cover my yeast starter?

Old 02-02-2013, 05:14 PM   #1
jflongo
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Do I need to cover my yeast starter?

Doing a few firsts for me. Harvested my Irish Ale yeast a little over a week ago, and will always be doing that now Last night I took one of the jars out to get to room temperature, and I just made my FIRST yeast starter today, since I'm making an oatmeal stout tomorrow/

My question, I'm walking by this every hour or so, and swirling it around. Do I need to keep this in the dark, like I do when I ferment, or is it ok sitting on my counter all day, with light coming in?

Old 02-02-2013, 05:29 PM   #2
LAbrewer
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Well since there is hop particulate in that... I would put a towel on it or move it to a dark room.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:24 PM   #3
Darwin18
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 863 Times on 607 Posts
Likes Given: 495

It's fine sitting out on your counter. The point of a starter is to increase cell count not make beer - you can always cold crash and decant the liquids. Sometimes I'll do that with a large starter but not usually.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:32 PM   #4
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 156 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by jflongo View Post
Doing a few firsts for me. Harvested my Irish Ale yeast a little over a week ago, and will always be doing that now Last night I took one of the jars out to get to room temperature, and I just made my FIRST yeast starter today, since I'm making an oatmeal stout tomorrow/

My question, I'm walking by this every hour or so, and swirling it around. Do I need to keep this in the dark, like I do when I ferment, or is it ok sitting on my counter all day, with light coming in?
you will be doing things to this starter that you would never do to a fermenting beer, like continually oxygenating it and probably fermenting warmer than you normally would. light won't harm the yeast.