Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Reese's beer fail - lesson learned.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:15 AM   #21
strantor
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Interesting development #2:

I took the stuff to the weekly LHBS get-together/brewing demo/beer tasting event, and got overwhelmingly positive reviews. A few people went back for seconds. The common theme was along the lines of "It's very interesting. I wouldn't want to drink pint after pint of it, but it's very good taste." I didn't hear a single nay say. Very surprised.

After hearing people say good things about it, it tasted a little better to me as well. I think my first impressions were having a psychological toll on my second impressions. I now give it a 6 out of 10. But I think some who tasted it may have rated it higher.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:29 AM   #22
Wakadaka
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 17

yeah this isn't too bad of an idea tbh. terrapin makes a beer called liquid bliss which is brewed with peanuts or pb (can't remember which), and it tastes just like a reese's to me. they use a porter as the base beer, which i think would hold up a lot better than a pale ale.

do you have more info on the recipe? something like that will probably take a long time to possibly a VERY long time to age into maturity. If it went from a 0 to a 4 to a 6 already, then i would recommend holding on to some for 6 months to a year and see how it comes along.

i've never used pb or chocolate chips, but 2 lbs and a half a tub sounds like a ton.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:56 AM   #23
strantor
Recipes 

Liked 78 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wakadaka View Post
do you have more info on the recipe?
Ok I was using a Brewer's Best American Pale Ale kit. I followed the directions until It said to dump all 5gal into the fermenter.

I pitched the yeast and dumped 3 gal into the regular fermenter. Dumped ~1.5-2 gal into the white bucket shown, and this is where our story begins...

I melted the 12oz (I think I said 2lbs before; now I'm consulting my notes) of Nestle chocolate chips and ~24oz creamy JIF in a medium saucepan with 1/2gal water. The JIF never completely dissolved; I eventually gave up trying to stir it in.

After it cooled down enough not to kill the yeast (completely unscientific temperature unit, as well as measurement technique), I threw it in with the ~2gal of APA.

measured gravity 1.070

Continued following BB kit instructions.

Fermented 4 days, then bottled (no more bubbles). strained through strainer then through strainer + paper towels before bottling. FG 1.016

Tasted after 6 days, death.

Tasted after 16 days, much better.

Quote:
something like that will probably take a long time to possibly a VERY long time to age into maturity. If it went from a 0 to a 4 to a 6 already, then i would recommend holding on to some for 6 months to a year and see how it comes along.
I'll hold on to a sample. Right now all I have is in the fridge. Should I take it out and age in the closet, or leave it in the fridge?
Quote:
i've never used pb or chocolate chips, but 2 lbs and a half a tub sounds like a ton.
yeah, I fudged the numbers apparently.

Old 02-03-2013, 03:00 AM   #24
ken_manke
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by strantor

You're in Katy? Me too! I'll be a Texas Homebrewers today @ 4:00 for the weekly demo. I'm bringing some of this funky crap, as a "gag"
If I wasn't in Dallas today I would have swung by for a taste. Just moved back to Katy and getting into the brew scene. My second batch will be done in march and might need some constructive feedback.

Old 02-03-2013, 03:06 AM   #25
brigbrew
Recipes 

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by November

So I should cancel the nacho-beer?
Hell, no! I'm drinking my jalapeņo cream ale right now! Perfect nacho beer!

Primary: Little Jack Red (Irish Red)
On Deck: Black IPA, 60 Schilling

Old 02-03-2013, 03:37 AM   #26
Ostomo517
Feedback Score: 2 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 576 Times on 365 Posts
Likes Given: 184

Quote:
Originally Posted by strantor View Post
yeah, I fudged the numbers apparently.
Bazinga!

Old 02-03-2013, 02:15 PM   #27
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 326 Times on 201 Posts
Likes Given: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by strantor View Post
Fermented 4 days, then bottled (no more bubbles). strained through strainer then through strainer + paper towels before bottling. FG 1.016
For future reference, throw away kit directions when it comes to fermenting. 4 days is just not long enough for the yeast to fully do their job. I would let it go two weeks at least on the yeast.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:22 PM   #28
BobbiLynn
Recipes 

Liked 791 Times on 539 Posts
Likes Given: 389

I'm laughing so hard, I'm crying. Please just let it condition longer.
Dynachrome Likes This 
Old 02-03-2013, 02:26 PM   #29
Oldskooler
Forum Supporter
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 34 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 115

LMAO, sorry about your beer though

Old 02-03-2013, 02:31 PM   #30
brewsnthelou
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 125 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 60

Thank you for sharing this, and kuddos for your creativity! But those pictures gave me the willies!