Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Stuck Fermentation...yes really

Old 02-02-2013, 04:17 PM   #1
chiteface
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Stuck Fermentation...yes really

So I have tried almost everything. I made an all grain IPA. Mash @154 degrees. use yeast nutrient and boiled the wort chiller @ 15 mins. About a six gallon batch. Just grain. No other fermentables. And 7oz of hops.

Thought I knew what I did wrong, I didn't think I aerated enough, but now I'm not sure. Usually I use O2, however I ran out and didn't realize until after I had pitched the yeast. But for the yeast it was a 1.5L starter @ 18 hours. WPL060. Gave it a decent shake, although probably not as much as I normally would without a starter. 0G of 1.066. Let it ferment, attached a blow out tube, which it blew through really well. After 2 weeks I checked the gravity expected it to be around 1.017, it was @1.035.

Was fermenting @168 degrees, moved it to a place a few degrees warmer, about 72. checked again, nothing. Made a new 1.5L starter with 060, pitched at high Krausen, swirled it when I pitched it, didn't want to shake it for oxidation fears. Left it @ 72 degrees for 2 weeks, just checked and it has dropped to 1.034...

I have no idea WTF. Was going to go get some Beano today, because why not at this point. Still would like to do a massive dry hop, but also don't want to waste anymore hops if this is not going to fully ferment. Seems a bit too unfermented to actually Keg at this point.

Any thoughts? Advice?

Old 02-02-2013, 04:23 PM   #2
COLObrewer
Recipes 

Liked 59 Times on 52 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You have calibrated your hydrometer?

Old 02-02-2013, 04:27 PM   #3
basilchef
Recipes 

Liked 27 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Refractometer or hydrometer?

Old 02-02-2013, 04:34 PM   #4
cersit
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have the same thing going on right now OG 1.056 ferment good for 4 days, then slowed way down, then stopped. Rack it into secondary and gravity was 1.030, tasted sweet but good. I'm just going to let it set for a while, I'm getting a bubble once in a while out of the secondary.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:37 PM   #5
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 156 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 89

how are you planning on stopping the Beano when it hits your intended FG?

Old 02-02-2013, 08:05 PM   #6
chiteface
Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Refractometer, and it is calibrated. I have rechecked it several times. I will make sure by testing something else I know the fg of to make sure. As for stopping the fermentation after adding beano, I had read it will stop on its own. Haven't heard any actual stories of it going too low. Might be a cool experiment any how at this point.

Old 02-02-2013, 08:16 PM   #7
krackin
Recipes 

Liked 213 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I'm wondering if you rack to dry hop if you may get enough aeration to kick it back into fermentation and by using the oxygen up not run into an oxidation problem.

Old 02-03-2013, 02:56 AM   #8
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 156 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiteface View Post
Refractometer, and it is calibrated. I have rechecked it several times. I will make sure by testing something else I know the fg of to make sure. As for stopping the fermentation after adding beano, I had read it will stop on its own. Haven't heard any actual stories of it going too low. Might be a cool experiment any how at this point.
it will stop on it's own but it won't magically stop at 1.017. it will be a cool experiment.

Old 02-03-2013, 03:16 AM   #9
Yooper
Ale's What Cures You!
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Liked 6197 Times on 4412 Posts
Likes Given: 1645

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiteface View Post
It might be calibrated, but since alcohol is in the mix, the reading is skewed and so if you test it with a hydrometer, I bet you'll find that it's more like 1.015-1.018. Try it!

I'll make a little bet. If you check it with a hydrometer, it'll be 1.020 or less. That's my guess.

Follow me on facebook: https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans
But I'm pretty boring so don't expect much!
https://www.facebook.com/lorena.t.evans

Old 02-03-2013, 06:31 AM   #10
Bamsdealer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 43 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 10

Mu guess... Either your thermometer was off and you mashed much higher than you thought or your refractometer is giving you false readings. That beer is finished. How did it taste? A 1.066 beer would have finished with a vial of yeast.... And you pitched two different starters.