What are you fermenting in? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > What are you fermenting in?
Sign-up To NEW HBT Article Newsletter - Brewing Articles Direct To You!

Old 02-02-2013, 04:10 PM   #1
jweez
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default What are you fermenting in?

Hey guys:

I've done about a dozen 5 gallon batches so far. I have a 6.5 glass carboy, and 2 6 gallon better bottles. Fermented in both equally and thinking of changing up.

I hate lifting/moving my glass around. And I am scared its going to break and slice off my arms. Kind of a pain to clean.

I hate cleaning my better bottles. After I rack my beer, I completely fill it with water and let it soak for days/weeks/month. Then I wash it according to the directions using soap/warm water/wash cloth. Takes me at least 2 hours to clean these stupid things. I do love how light they are though.

I have never tried fermenting in a bucket yet. What are everyones thoughts on that? They seem like they would be way easier to clean/harvest yeast.

I don't know. What are your thoughts?

Thanks. Sorry about the novel.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:13 PM   #2
mgortel
Recipes 

Liked 48 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 16

I always do my primary in an Ale Pale....always have...probably always will.

Upcoming Brews: Dusseldorf Alt
Kegged: Biermuncher Centenniel Blonde
Airborneguy Likes This 
Old 02-02-2013, 04:13 PM   #3
Doomsday
Recipes 

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

I use the big plastic fermenting vessel that came with my coopers kit a while ago.

Has a huge mouth when the top is off(easy to clean) also has a spigot for easy racking and whatnot.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:13 PM   #4
jflongo
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I almost always ferment in a bucket now, and then rack to a carboy for secondary if I want to. The only time I use my carboy, is if I want to watch it ferment Or if my buckets are already full.

Also, I don't mind cleaning my glass carboys. Normally I empty it, put some hot water in, swish it around empty it again. Use my jet bottle washer and shoot hot water into for about a minute or so moving it around, by then, all of the settlement is gone, and the glass is pretty clean. Then I fill it about 1/2 way or more with sanitizer, shake it a few times, then let it sit for a few hours or longer. Then empty it out, and let it dry upside down.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:16 PM   #5
slowbie
Recipes 

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I use buckets whenever I can. Easy to clean, easy to harvest yeast, cheaper than carboys or better bottles. Just be careful not to scratch them when you're cleaning and you'll have no problems. I just make sure to either rinse them immediately after emptying and/or soak them in oxyclean if the krausen has had a chance to dry on.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:16 PM   #6
NivekD
Recipes 

Liked 101 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 32

I always use buckets...thought about getting a better bottle so I could see the wort better but then didn't...buckets are easy to carry and clean.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:18 PM   #7
drainbamage
Keep HBT weird.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2436 Times on 1382 Posts
Likes Given: 4158

I've got a 6.5 Gal glass carboy for primary, 2-5 Gal better bottles for secondary, and a 5 Gal bucket that I usually use for bottling. The safety factor of the better bottles is nice, but they don't clean up as easily as the glass. Early on, when I used the plastic for my primary, the ring of krausen around the top was a pain in the butt to scrub off completely.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:21 PM   #8
jflongo
Recipes 

Liked 64 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by drainbamage View Post
I've got a 6.5 Gal glass carboy for primary, 2-5 Gal better bottles for secondary, and a 5 Gal bucket that I usually use for bottling. The safety factor of the better bottles is nice, but they don't clean up as easily as the glass. Early on, when I used the plastic for my primary, the ring of krausen around the top was a pain in the butt to scrub off completely.
I think you are doing this backwards Glass is much better for long secondary, it's not porous at all, where plastic is.

Old 02-02-2013, 04:34 PM   #9
drainbamage
Keep HBT weird.
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 2436 Times on 1382 Posts
Likes Given: 4158

I didn't say it was right, just that I liked it better that way.

The main reason I use the glass for primary is that it has more headspace for active primary fermentations. Like I said before, I like the way it cleans up as well. I rarely do really long secondaries (more than a month), so I'm not all that worried about the porosity of the better bottle.

Old 02-02-2013, 05:00 PM   #10
zacster
Recipes 

Liked 32 Times on 28 Posts

I stopped using buckets because glass was easier to clean, not the other way around, and I'm always confident that there's nothing left behind that star-san won't get. Plastic scratches.

I use my sink hose to loosen up the yeast cake, oxyclean with a carboy brush to wash, then my jet washer to rinse. It comes out spotless every time.

If you don't have handles already on your glass carboys, get them. They take a little of the worry away.