odd taste in two kegs, i think i over carbed? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > odd taste in two kegs, i think i over carbed?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2013, 05:49 AM   #1
liebertron
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
bowie, md
Posts: 83
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts



I have two kegs that I carbed at the same time but believe I over carbed the beer. The beer certainly looks over carbed when I pour it, but it also has a metallic taste to it, and isnt that good. Both kegs have the same flavor and did not have the flavor before kegging, they tasted just fine then. Could over carb make this taste? Going to degas the beer, but would like some feedback.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 06:09 AM   #2
JuanMoore
Recipes 
 
Oct 2009
The Old Pueblo
Posts: 21,617
Liked 3655 Times on 3479 Posts


Could be the carbonic acid bite, which many people describe as a metallic taste. More carbonic acid is created when the beer is burst carbed and/or overcarbed. It should fade over time.


__________________
I'm trying to find some porn filmed by a dog wearing a GoPro. - SharonaZamboni

Hunter, when you get bored, will you put a taco in my elephant's hands for me? - Hat

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:19 PM   #3
liebertron
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
bowie, md
Posts: 83
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanMoore View Post
Could be the carbonic acid bite, which many people describe as a metallic taste. More carbonic acid is created when the beer is burst carbed and/or overcarbed. It should fade over time.
Do you know how much time? And should I be degassing the beer as I go?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:27 PM   #4
Cbaddad
Recipes 
 
May 2011
Carlsbad, CA
Posts: 571
Liked 110 Times on 78 Posts


How long has it been kegged? If only a week or so, that is probably it. i would try degassing a bit and then just waiting. Also, how long since you brewed it? It could be a bit green too, combined with overcarbonation. I get a distinct bite from my kegged beers when they are young and just carbonating up.

Lastly, was this the first pint or two? If so, the last bit of the yeast or hops that have fallen out could be giving it an odd taste. I bet it tastes better in a couple of days.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 05:50 PM   #5
thargrav
Registered User
Recipes 
 
Dec 2009
Huntsville, Alabama
Posts: 821
Liked 38 Times on 35 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by liebertron View Post
I have two kegs that I carbed at the same time but believe I over carbed the beer. The beer certainly looks over carbed when I pour it, but it also has a metallic taste to it, and isnt that good. Both kegs have the same flavor and did not have the flavor before kegging, they tasted just fine then. Could over carb make this taste? Going to degas the beer, but would like some feedback.
Most likely so - "Metallic Taste" is a symptom of over-carbonated beer.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 02:32 AM   #6
liebertron
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
bowie, md
Posts: 83
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbaddad View Post
How long has it been kegged? If only a week or so, that is probably it. i would try degassing a bit and then just waiting. Also, how long since you brewed it? It could be a bit green too, combined with overcarbonation. I get a distinct bite from my kegged beers when they are young and just carbonating up.

Lastly, was this the first pint or two? If so, the last bit of the yeast or hops that have fallen out could be giving it an odd taste. I bet it tastes better in a couple of days.
Spent 1 week in primary, 3 weeks in secondary and 1 week cold crashing in the kegerator. Was the first couple of glasses, I do think its the carb bite people have discussed.



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
need two kegs carbed in ten days zev Bottling/Kegging 17 06-08-2012 10:02 PM
Help with over carbed kegs tek210 Bottling/Kegging 6 05-11-2012 05:38 PM
Under-carbed and Apple Taste txaggie Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 28 03-05-2012 05:56 PM
Gelatin...in finished...carbed up kegs? Brewnoob1 Extract Brewing 6 01-06-2012 07:14 PM
Apfelwein carbed itself in kegs BornInaHoller Cider Forum 2 07-08-2011 07:18 PM


Forum Jump