Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Other > Power For Grainmill???

Old 02-05-2013, 02:09 AM   #31
lunchbox
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by brew-n-que View Post
It looks like that motor is rated at 30 in lbs of torque. Is that enough?

Old 02-05-2013, 04:06 AM   #32
HopSong
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 99 Times on 87 Posts
Likes Given: 13

I sure hope so.. I think I read somewhere that a minimum of 17 works. If not, fall back and punt. I saw a bunch of small motors that were very low foot pounds.. but were hv DC... like 90 to 115vDC

Old 02-05-2013, 11:52 AM   #33
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn

Recipes 

Liked 753 Times on 548 Posts
Likes Given: 594

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeGnomes View Post
.. I think I read somewhere that a minimum of 17 works.
I had a 20 in-lb that would only work if I taped off part of the shoot to prevent the full amount of grain from passing through. What I read is that 40 in-lbs or more is what you'd like, but that 30 is the absolute minimum.

Old 02-05-2013, 03:36 PM   #34
brew-n-que
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunchbox View Post
It looks like that motor is rated at 30 in lbs of torque. Is that enough?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeGnomes View Post
I sure hope so.. I think I read somewhere that a minimum of 17 works. If not, fall back and punt. I saw a bunch of small motors that were very low foot pounds.. but were hv DC... like 90 to 115vDC
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldUR View Post
I had a 20 in-lb that would only work if I taped off part of the shoot to prevent the full amount of grain from passing through. What I read is that 40 in-lbs or more is what you'd like, but that 30 is the absolute minimum.
Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but I believe the torque spec is for the motor (minus the gear housing) So there are two factors in play, the torque of the motor and the reduction ratio of the gear box. In my case, the motor is 30 in/lb, with a 16.5:1 reduction ratio (1750rpm/106rpm). So my power at the shaft is 495 in/lb (30 in/lb x 16.5). The same motor with a 10:1 reduction ratio (1750rpm/175rpm) would only have an output power of 300 in/lb.

All of that said, this gearmotor (106 RPM 30 in/lb) works great hooked up to my Barley Crusher. It has no problem starting, even with a hopper filled with 18 pounds of grain.....perhaps I'll take a video of it in action next time I brew.

lupulin threshold shift \lu·pu·lin thresh·old shift\ n
1. When a once extraordinarily hoppy beer now seems pedestrian.
2. The phenomenon a person has when craving more bitterness in beer.
3. The long-term exposure to extremely hoppy beers; if excessive or prolonged, a habitual dependence on hops will occur.
4. When a "Double IPA" just is not enough.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:09 PM   #35
jammin
Feedback Score: 5 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 270 Times on 209 Posts
Likes Given: 191

Quote:
Originally Posted by brew-n-que View Post
Someone correct me if i'm wrong, but I believe the torque spec is for the motor (minus the gear housing) So there are two factors in play, the torque of the motor and the reduction ratio of the gear box. In my case, the motor is 30 in/lb, with a 16.5:1 reduction ratio (1750rpm/106rpm). So my power at the shaft is 495 in/lb (30 in/lb x 16.5). The same motor with a 10:1 reduction ratio (1750rpm/175rpm) would only have an output power of 300 in/lb.

All of that said, this gearmotor (106 RPM 30 in/lb) works great hooked up to my Barley Crusher. It has no problem starting, even with a hopper filled with 18 pounds of grain.....perhaps I'll take a video of it in action next time I brew.
Your speculated torque figures are false. Gear motor stats are posted "as is". If you were to add an additional gear reduction transmission, then you could start multiplying numbers.

I'll be curious to see how it works out for the OP's MM3. The MM3 requires an immense amount of torque to run it smoothly. Looks like a sweet kit for a BC though. I like that the motor package you bought comes with a reverse switch.

Old 02-05-2013, 05:55 PM   #36
brew-n-que
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammin View Post
Your speculated torque figures are false. Gear motor stats are posted "as is". If you were to add an additional gear reduction transmission, then you could start multiplying numbers.
Interesting....Prior to purchasing the gear motor, I ran my mill with a cordless drill. It's peak torque rating is 455 in/lbs...and although it did the job it was clearly a workout for the drill. There is an obvious mismatch in the specs here (30 in/lbs for the gear motor vs 455 in/lbs for the drill) Hopefully someone can help explain the reason for the difference.

Link to the drill specs:
http://www.ridgid.com/Tools/R86006-C...l/EN/index.htm

3. The long-term exposure to extremely hoppy beers; if excessive or prolonged, a habitual dependence on hops will occur.

Old 02-05-2013, 11:30 PM   #37
beaksnbeer
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 494 Times on 328 Posts
Likes Given: 67

Drills like that are basically a 18 volt electric motor with a variable speed (trigger switch) and an adjustable transmission, the max torque is at the highest setting and full speed which drops off dramatically as the battery loses it's charge.

Old 02-06-2013, 03:10 PM   #38
brew-n-que
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beaksnbeer View Post
Drills like that are basically a 18 volt electric motor with a variable speed (trigger switch) and an adjustable transmission, the max torque is at the highest setting and full speed which drops off dramatically as the battery loses it's charge.
Thanks for further illustrating my point. The drill has a peak torque of 455 in/lb under the best condition, and it can barely run the mill. So can anyone explain how a gearmotor rated at 30 in/lb can run the same mill without breaking a sweat?