Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Other > Squeezo press into Corona mill... Is this even possible?

Old 02-01-2013, 07:51 PM   #1
VonRunkel
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Default Squeezo press into Corona mill... Is this even possible?

Picture it: My kitchen, 2013.

I just bought the Kiwi Express kit from NB, I was super excited because I have been jonesing a different IPA for some time now. Imagine my surprise when I opened the box and saw 12# of unmilled grain staring smugly back at me.

I wasn't about to let this stop me, so I immediately went into 'Necessity Engineering' mode and thought of all the different ways I could crush this grain. It turns out that a large portion of them are time consuming or potentially disastrous (I concluded this after many searches on HBT).

And then it hit me, an eccentric uncle had given my 6 year old daughter this for her birthday. I know, it is kind of strange, but hey, free is a pretty good price.

So, after some thought and side by side comparisons I concluded that, while possible, it would NOT be an effective use of my time (I have so little of it these days) to transform the Squeezo into a mill.

My reasoning was as follows:
The Squeezo is made of a softer metal than the mill (I presume Aluminum). While this may not be a problem initially, I have heard of Al flaking while in the process of milling. Not a huge concern but still a concern. I was also worried about the ability of the Al to stand up to the torque placed on it whilst milling. Again, not the biggest concern.

A mill does its thing by forcing grain through two parallel plates a certain distance apart. The Squeezo does not. It just pushes whatever soft substance through tiny little holes.

Fabricating a new shroud for the Squeezo to replicate the parallel plate action may not be the best use of time and resources.

Now, if I were to transform the Squeezo into a mill I would probably follow this general flow path:

Fabricate a new shroud from sheet metal, attach a parallel plate system to do the heavy lifting (how is still undetermined), and voila. Minimal damage to the Squeezo.

But still, not worth the effort right now, especially since Amazon + Prime membership (thank you student status) =new Victoria esq mill for under $30.

Any thoughts on my approach to the Squeezo conversion?

Old 02-01-2013, 08:05 PM   #2
HeavyKettleBrewing
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 16 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonRunkel
Picture it: My kitchen, 2013.

I just bought the Kiwi Express kit from NB, I was super excited because I have been jonesing a different IPA for some time now. Imagine my surprise when I opened the box and saw 12# of unmilled grain staring smugly back at me.

I wasn't about to let this stop me, so I immediately went into 'Necessity Engineering' mode and thought of all the different ways I could crush this grain. It turns out that a large portion of them are time consuming or potentially disastrous (I concluded this after many searches on HBT).

And then it hit me, an eccentric uncle had given my 6 year old daughter this for her birthday. I know, it is kind of strange, but hey, free is a pretty good price.

So, after some thought and side by side comparisons I concluded that, while possible, it would NOT be an effective use of my time (I have so little of it these days) to transform the Squeezo into a mill.

My reasoning was as follows:
The Squeezo is made of a softer metal than the mill (I presume Aluminum). While this may not be a problem initially, I have heard of Al flaking while in the process of milling. Not a huge concern but still a concern. I was also worried about the ability of the Al to stand up to the torque placed on it whilst milling. Again, not the biggest concern.

A mill does its thing by forcing grain through two parallel plates a certain distance apart. The Squeezo does not. It just pushes whatever soft substance through tiny little holes.

Fabricating a new shroud for the Squeezo to replicate the parallel plate action may not be the best use of time and resources.

Now, if I were to transform the Squeezo into a mill I would probably follow this general flow path:

Fabricate a new shroud from sheet metal, attach a parallel plate system to do the heavy lifting (how is still undetermined), and voila. Minimal damage to the Squeezo.

But still, not worth the effort right now, especially since Amazon + Prime membership (thank you student status) =new Victoria esq mill for under $30.

Any thoughts on my approach to the Squeezo conversion?
Have you considered conditioning the grains? If softer, I would assume it will pass through much easier. It would also depend on the diameter of the holes you would try to push through.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:27 PM   #3
hot_carl
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

I would just buy the corona mill...check the local thrift stores as these things end up there sometimes for just a few $$. Trying to fabricate/troubleshoot something for an aluminum juicer seems a recipe for a big headache.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:25 PM   #4
VonRunkel
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I already bought the Corona Mill, I was just looking for tips on how to make that beastie work.

I had not considered conditioning the grains. the stock holes are pretty small (a few mm) I would need to bore them out more than just a touch....