Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > SAFALE S-04 fermentation question

Old 02-01-2013, 08:59 PM   #11
GeorgiaTiger
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 73 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 70

I just stuck the fermenter in a large rubbermaid container and filled it with water that had a 54.6 temp. Dont have a strip on this carboy to see the temp, so Im just going to measure temp of water around it. Im sure the water will warm up to 58-60 or so which should lower the temp of the beer to mid 60's at least, I would think. Any thoughts on that?

Primary 2 (LBK): Empty
On Deck - IPA of some sort
Bottled - Irish Red Ale
Wicked Gnome HomeBrewing

Old 02-01-2013, 09:10 PM   #12
jakeperks
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I used this yeast last Saturday. Lag was short and there was plenty of airlock activity within a few hours, which was vigorous for about two days, then slowed down and is non-existent now, 6 days later. The temperature was steady at around 63-64. I haven't taken a gravity reading yet, so I don't know if it's done or not, but I plan to leave it another week before doing anything else to it. I do 3 gallon batches and there's just enough headroom in the bucket, I didn't need a blowoff but had one on standby just in case.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:28 PM   #13
gcdowd
Recipes 

Liked 196 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgiaTiger View Post
I just stuck the fermenter in a large rubbermaid container and filled it with water that had a 54.6 temp. Dont have a strip on this carboy to see the temp, so Im just going to measure temp of water around it. Im sure the water will warm up to 58-60 or so which should lower the temp of the beer to mid 60's at least, I would think. Any thoughts on that?
Should definitely work. Also, once most of the fermenation was done, i moved it to a warmer area (68 or so) and got a few more points out of it. I would definitely recommend doing that.

Old 02-01-2013, 09:46 PM   #14
GeorgiaTiger
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcdowd View Post
Should definitely work. Also, once most of the fermenation was done, i moved it to a warmer area (68 or so) and got a few more points out of it. I would definitely recommend doing that.
good idea...will do.
Bottled - Irish Red Ale
Wicked Gnome HomeBrewing

Old 02-01-2013, 11:24 PM   #15
gcdowd
Recipes 

Liked 196 Times on 150 Posts
Likes Given: 5

And of course (as you already know), leave it in primary at least 2-3 weeks. I found that this yeast takes a bit to clean up

Old 02-01-2013, 11:24 PM   #16
GeorgiaTiger
Recipes 

Oh yeah...i do 3 weeks minimum...
Bottled - Irish Red Ale
Wicked Gnome HomeBrewing

Old 02-02-2013, 01:29 AM   #17
BigFloyd
Recipes 

Liked 721 Times on 628 Posts
Likes Given: 630

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcdowd View Post
+1. I like to start toward the low end of the temp range and slowly move up into the middle after the exponential growth phase has slacked off. That's when a digitally controlled fermentation chamber comes in quite handy.

Cooling your wort a bit lower (like 62-64*F) and pitching at that same low temp is something you may want to try as well.