Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > First 3 All-Grain Batches No Secondaries

Old 02-01-2013, 05:47 PM   #1
cpesko
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default First 3 All-Grain Batches No Secondaries

So, I switched from partial mash to All-Grain. Brew days all went well. But I did not secondary these. They all got to the FG they were suppose to. I siphoned all the beer from the carboy to the keg put it on the gas to carb it. Hooked one up to the tap and was fine. The other two I racked later to kegs and both of these had yeast milkshakes. About 6 or so pints down the drain to get rid of the yeast milkshakes. I was wondering if I can avoid this next time by cold crashing the beer kinda like a diacytel rest? Keep in mind these are all ales.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:45 PM   #2
Euphist
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 50 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Absolutely!

I rarely use a secondary. Although I don't always cold crash either. You don't mention how long you are fermenting. I typically have my beers in for ~4 weeks. This give the yeast time to clean-up and drop out.

Old 02-01-2013, 08:58 PM   #3
Clonefan94
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 233 Times on 156 Posts
Likes Given: 68

How long did you have it in primary? I rarely secondary, leave mine in primary for about 3 weeks, then keg, being very careful not to suck any trub with the beer. Then I let it cold crash and carb for about a week. I get one or two cloudy beers, but far from a yeast milkshake. Even when I empty the keg and clean, there probably isn't more than a couple of tablespoons of yeast gunk on the bottom of the keg. As I said though, I'm pretty focused on not letting the autosiphon touch the trub.