United States vs. Anheuser-Busch InBEV acquisition of Modelo - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > United States vs. Anheuser-Busch InBEV acquisition of Modelo

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 01:28 PM   #1
MyDemeter
Recipes 
 
Feb 2013
Posts: 3


This is my first post. I have been a viewer for a while, and thought a lot of you might find this interesting. It is a Wall Street Journal article that talks of price fixing by ABI, and the rest of the macro-brewers following their lead. As well as the predicted outcome if such a takeover occurs.

http://online.wsj.com/public/resourc...uitABinbev.pdf

hope everyone finds this as interesting as I did,
-MD

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 01:57 PM   #2
Stevo2569
 
Stevo2569's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
C-VILLE, Tn
Posts: 1,283
Liked 32 Times on 25 Posts


Here We Go.

Pun intended. Thank goodness for anti-monopoly laws. ABI is a slick devil.
__________________
Fermentation may have been a greater discovery than fire."
-David Rains Wallace


My Brewing Apparatus

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:52 PM   #3
m_c_zero
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Fort Collins, CO
Posts: 1,022
Liked 207 Times on 147 Posts


Rabble rabble rabble!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2013, 05:56 PM   #4
MyDemeter
Recipes 
 
Feb 2013
Posts: 3

This is the opposite side of the Justice Department's argument: the merger would not lead to a monopoly on the market.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...esting+lawyers

This is the 'golden-age' of independent breweries right now. Homebrewtalk is an example of the 'few barriers to entry' to get into brewing; we're all doing it.

-MD

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:51 PM   #5
C38368
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Feb 2012
Riverside, CA
Posts: 98
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts


Monopoly is rarely the correct word. MLB is a monopoly. Commercial brewing in America is an oligopoly, the economic effects of which are not substantially dissimilar to those of a monopoly.

AB Inbev currently holds something like 39% of the domestic market. MillerCoors holds another 26%. Heineken and Modelo bring up the rear, with about 13% between them. That's 78% of the domestic beer market shared between four producers. The remaining 22% is shared amongst the thousands of smaller commercial breweries around the nation.

Just because you and I can make our own beer and maybe even sell it about locally doesn't mean that we can actually realize commercial success, particularly when distribution is so heavily skewed in favor of large breweries.
__________________
Wes hl, Beowa!

Primary: Little Lion IPA v2
Secondary: Empty
Bottled: Little Lion IPA (v2), Proud Kitty Pale Ale, and one last bottle of the weird brown ale that wanted to be an Oud Bruin when it grew up.
On deck: Cascadia, a CDA, or a stout.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2013, 07:54 PM   #6
OrdinaryAvgGuy
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Cary, NC - North Carolina
Posts: 998
Liked 181 Times on 128 Posts


In my short time here I have learned one fact and that is...

Any thread created with the phrase Anheuser-Busch or InBEV is going to turn into a debate despite how it begins.

I'll just have a seat and stay out of this one *grabs the popcorn and follows thread*
__________________
Primary:
Bottled:

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 04:07 AM   #7
MyDemeter
Recipes 
 
Feb 2013
Posts: 3

Debate is not always a bad thing. I am on the fence, but see both arguments. I think big brew and craft brew are separate markets, and this merger wouldn't really affect craft brew in a negative way. If ABI dominated cheap, crush the can when you're done brew, and were able to drive the price up it would send customers toward craft brews. If Craft brewing prices would stay the same, people would be willing to pay the extra cost for quality beer, and the price gap between the two would shrink as ABI increased prices.
Certainly bad for other macro-brew companies, but possibly good to the booming craft breweries popping up all over America.
This is just one feasible outcome among many, which is why i find this so interesting.

-MD

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
United States beer consumption fishkid General Beer Discussion 25 09-16-2013 09:34 PM
Where can I buy Galaxy Hops in the United States? TVarmy Recipes/Ingredients 9 02-06-2012 06:22 PM
Anheuser-Busch / Inbev Merger proxy vote truckmann General Beer Discussion 7 10-15-2008 01:41 PM
Belgian Beer Giant Inbev to bid for Anheuser-Busch? gonzoflick General Beer Discussion 0 05-23-2008 08:06 PM


Forum Jump