My element housing - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > DIY Projects > Brew Stands > My element housing

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 02-01-2013, 03:51 AM   #1
WPStrassburg
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
Rochester, NY
Posts: 592
Liked 38 Times on 33 Posts



I've been looking for an enclosure for my rims element and looked at a few of the ones that people have done on here and other sites. I like the all stainless version and may get there some day, but for now here is what I've came up with.

I started with a 1/2" conduit LB


and 1/2" bushing


I cut the fitting off the backside of the LB and filed it smooth with the back.
Traced out the shape of the element head onto cardboard, cut out the pattern, and then traced the pattern onto the fitting. Broke out the dremel and whittled out the LB hole to match the element head.
Once it fit snug i roughed all the contact surfaces up and mixed up some 30 minute 2-part z-poxy

I spread a bit of the epoxy between the element head and the bottom of the LB. I filled the inside of the LB with enough epoxy to get it up to the bottom of the electrical connections. Instead of trying to get the wire under the usual element screw terminals I added post style connectors to the element for easier connections.


Element with Tri-clover adapter


First fill of epoxy


More to come once everything sets up and I get the wire though.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:30 AM   #2
johns
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
warrenville, illinios
Posts: 504
Liked 38 Times on 36 Posts


Nice! I am looking for something just like this. I am thinking about a stock pot that only has about a 2.5 inch gap between the steamer and the kettle. There are sites that use a 4.5 inch gang box or a 2.81 inch gage box, but I worry about the space that will be left behind for the heat stick. This might be the solution to this problem.

How does that fit up along the kettle though?
__________________
Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder
WC Fields
Kegged: orange cascade, ale, nelson apa
Bottled: Mambo in your mouth,
Primary: rye saison belgian tripel
Secondary: 2 fisted IPA, breakfast stout, zombie dust, nelson apa,

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:18 AM   #3
alien
Recipes 
 
Apr 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Posts: 1,235
Liked 68 Times on 59 Posts


2 questions.

1. When it heats up, will the different coefficients of expansion of metal and plastic stress the epoxy?
2. If you need to change the element, won't you need a new housing?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:38 PM   #4
BSD_Glass
Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Posts: 177
Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts


If you're already set up for triclovers, why not just buy the element enclosure package from still dragon or brewers hardware and be done with it?

still Dragon is like $36 and BH is like $70 for something you never will have to replace.

This is the way I'm going with my new HLT and BK builds...

Cheers.

BSD

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:52 PM   #5
ianw58
 
ianw58's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Oct 2012
Lincoln, California
Posts: 576
Liked 73 Times on 56 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by BSD_Glass View Post
still Dragon is like $36 and BH is like $70 for something you never will have to replace.
Not familiar with "Dragon" and couldn't find the cover on BH. Can you provide liks, please?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 05:13 PM   #6
BSD_Glass
Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Posts: 177
Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts


http://www.stilldragon.com/element-g...-adapters.html

http://www.brewershardware.com/2-Tri...t-Adapter.html

Cheers!

BSD

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 06:48 PM   #7
WPStrassburg
Recipes 
 
Sep 2008
Rochester, NY
Posts: 592
Liked 38 Times on 33 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by johns View Post
Nice! I am looking for something just like this. I am thinking about a stock pot that only has about a 2.5 inch gap between the steamer and the kettle. There are sites that use a 4.5 inch gang box or a 2.81 inch gage box, but I worry about the space that will be left behind for the heat stick. This might be the solution to this problem.

How does that fit up along the kettle though?
This is for my rims tube, so I don't have it fitted on a kettle, but you would just need a ferrule soldered/welded to the kettle for to clamp to.




Quote:
Originally Posted by alien View Post
2 questions.

1. When it heats up, will the different coefficients of expansion of metal and plastic stress the epoxy?
2. If you need to change the element, won't you need a new housing?
1. Time will tell, but the housing is stuck mostly to the plastic element head, so even if the bond to the metal does break, the head should remain bonded to the pvc lb.
2. yup, but that will be penance for dry-firing an element and not paying attention like I should be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BSD_Glass View Post
If you're already set up for triclovers, why not just buy the element enclosure package from still dragon or brewers hardware and be done with it?

still Dragon is like $36 and BH is like $70 for something you never will have to replace.

This is the way I'm going with my new HLT and BK builds...

Cheers.

BSD
$36 or $70 is the reason. I'm out about $5 and that may be more in line with some peoples budgets, but like I said I have the pieces for TC enclosures, but put this together for the time being. The dragon and BH enclosures are a nice design and mine will be similar, but cheaper and made by me.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 07:10 PM   #8
johns
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
warrenville, illinios
Posts: 504
Liked 38 Times on 36 Posts


So this setup is for welded system. Would it work for a weldless system and if so how?
__________________
Beauty lies in the hands of the beer holder
WC Fields
Kegged: orange cascade, ale, nelson apa
Bottled: Mambo in your mouth,
Primary: rye saison belgian tripel
Secondary: 2 fisted IPA, breakfast stout, zombie dust, nelson apa,

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 10:26 PM   #9
OMJ
Recipes 
 
May 2009
Camp Hill, PA
Posts: 580
Liked 19 Times on 13 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by johns View Post
So this setup is for welded system. Would it work for a weldless system and if so how?
You could solder a 2" TC ferule into your kettle

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 12:28 AM   #10
BSD_Glass
Member
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Mar 2010
Madison, Wisconsin
Posts: 177
Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by OMJ View Post
You could solder a 2" TC ferule into your kettle
That is my plan.

BSD

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Element housing - a novel method? badmojo Electric Brewing 5 01-12-2013 02:21 AM
filter housing leak slim chillingsworth Equipment/Sanitation 3 02-16-2009 08:01 PM
Hitler and the housing bubble kappclark General Chit Chat 2 11-28-2008 10:12 PM
Housing for pump aekdbbop Equipment/Sanitation 6 05-19-2008 09:08 PM


Forum Jump