Adding yeast at bottling...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

elkmanbeerz

Reaction score
Hi, I know there are already some posts about this, but I found that most of the information was almost (but not quite) pertinent to my specific situation. Just looking for a second opinion.

I'm brewing the Tom Bastian's Death Metal (RIS) recipe from the book Extreme Brewing. The recipe has an O.G. of 1.098 and F.G. 1.025. There is no bottling/priming information for that recipe in the book. With the final gravity being that high, is it even necessary to add priming sugar? And either way, would it be helpful to add some (champagne?) yeast to the bucket as well? What would y'all do in this case? Thanks!

Presuming the yeast are really done which is quite possible with a starting OG like that ... without more fermentables, the yeast won't produce any more CO2. So the priming sugar is necessary. As for whether to add yeast. That's debatable. Admittely I've never made a beer that strong (1.078 for me), but even after things like 6 month primaries and 2 month lagerings, I've never had to add yeast to get priming to happen.

That's a 75% apparent attenuation, which means your're probably done, but to really be sure you should take 2 or 3 readings over as many days. A constant gravity means it's more than likely done.

Thanks, I'm pretty sure my fermentation is done. But I'm really just trying to figure out if I should add some yeast at bottling. Either way, would it hurt anything just to add the yeast for security?

It won't hurt anything to add some for security as long as you're sanitary. Often people will use a "neutral" yeast for this like US05 or a lager yeast, but given the small amount of fermentation it probably doesn't matter much what strain you use. Perhaps because you are dealing with a high alcohol percentage, champange yeast would be best.

I recently bottled up a RIS with an og around that same level. For the sake of certainty, I did add yeast. I just got a cheapo packet of Munton's and tossed the whole thing into the bottling vessel.

I've opened about 4 of them and they've all been properly carbed.

Back