Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Importance of the water you use

Old 02-01-2013, 01:02 PM   #11
Glaurung30
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc5md View Post
I was getting some flavors that I just attributed to extract 'twang' while brewing from my tap water. I had done 3 batches and they all had it. Even with the gravity samples I could taste it. Just seemed like it 'enhanced' the extract twang???
Anyway, last 2 batches, I've used water from a fellow brewer that comes from his well. First one is an IPA carbing up right now. All the tastes thus far have been noticeably better!! Super happy!!!

This is exactly what I have been experiencing. "twang" is actually a good way of putting it. I'm doing all extracts as of now.

My girlfriends parents draw their tap water directly from an aquafer so I'm thinking of going over there sometime with some jugs and filling up.

I just put in an order with AHS for the Session Series American Brown Ale so when that gets in I think I'm going to try different water to see the results.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:20 PM   #12
phuff7129
Recipes 

Liked 40 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 63

If you really want to compare results from a different water source you should use the same recipe.

Old 02-01-2013, 02:31 PM   #13
Glaurung30
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by phuff7129 View Post
If you really want to compare results from a different water source you should use the same recipe.
good point

Old 02-01-2013, 03:02 PM   #14
latium
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 23

Palmer and Zainasheff point out in one of the episodes of their Brew Strong podcast (probably one of the four from the water special, but I can't remember) that if you're using extract, it's already got the minerals in it from the maltster's water chemistry during their mash, so extract brewing should be a rare occasion where distilled water would be okay. My LHBS recommends distilled water along with what they label a "sulfate media blend" (they have a little packet with that on one side and Irish moss on the other). Personally, I just used filtered tap water for extract. As always, YMMV, and do what tastes best to you.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:02 PM   #15
abandonhope16
Recipes 

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I use gallon jugs of spring water from the grocery store. They are a $1 each and I just find it more convenient to dump the jugs in the kettle. Plus I keep a couple in the fridge to cool the wort. I get filtered water through my fridge and that just takes too long to get 6 gallons, plus the cost of filter replacements. I wouldnt use straight tap the same way I don't for coffee. When something I comprised primarily of water, I find it worth while to use "better" water.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:13 PM   #16
Warrior
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 21

I have well water that has oxidized iron in it. A 5 micron prefilter is used in the house. In the shop I have a 3/4 line that comes from the house. I have another whole house filter I use out there that is a .5 micron/carbon filter. That filters out the iron flavor as well as any bacteria that might be present. I fill my kettles directly with a hose and get about 1 3/4 gallon a minute of flow. The filters are available at Lowes and cost $20 each says it'll filter 1,000 gals, installed mine last May and still on the same filter. The filter only feeds the line for my brewing water.

Old 02-01-2013, 03:28 PM   #17
darrenbrews
Recipes 

Liked 15 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I've only done three brews to date and they all turned out good. I used our tap water on all batches and it is not the best tasting water.

Old 02-01-2013, 04:25 PM   #18
Warrior
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by darrenbrews View Post
I've only done three brews to date and they all turned out good. I used our tap water on all batches and it is not the best tasting water.
If there are any issues with your water source you'll really notice it in a Lager such as a Helles or Czech Pils.

Old 02-02-2013, 06:53 PM   #19
latium
Recipes 

Liked 20 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 23

I used my fridge filter for a while. Took for-darned-ever, especially on all-grain batches. I could barely draw enough water and heat it up in time for the sparge. I wound up making this filter, although that was before I realized how inexpensively you can get some of the filters from a hardware store or online homebrew store. Works fine, though, and it was fun to make.