HBT 2015 Big Giveaway - Winners Drawn - 24 Hours to Claim!

Huge Supporting Membership Discounts - 20% Off - Ends Today!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Made my first partial grain brew...

Old 01-31-2013, 04:37 PM   #1
atmyownpace
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Made my first partial grain brew...

So over the weekend I brewed a partial grain dunkelweizen that is currently fermenting. My question is I can't seem to get the fermenting temp up to 68 which was the recommended ferment temp as showing on the thermometer. It's been sitting between 64 and 66. Is this going to be an issue other than taking a bit longer to ferment?

Thanks for any tips for this still new to brewing, yet excited to learn more "noobie"

Old 01-31-2013, 04:44 PM   #2
unionrdr
Wannabe author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2626 Times on 2280 Posts
Likes Given: 1864

As long as that 64-66F is within the yeasts' temp range,it'll actually be a bit cleaner tasting. If you used a wheat beer yeast,it should get more love like esters at the lower temp.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:48 PM   #3
zzARzz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The fermentation temperature will be higher than your ambient temperature (assuming 64-66F room temperature is what you meant) at the beginning of primary so you're probably right around the yeast's optimum temperature range. A couple of degrees won't adversely affect it and it will likely ferment out a little crisper and cleaner (though after primary, to your point, it may take a little longer to complete).

Old 01-31-2013, 05:03 PM   #4
atmyownpace
Recipes 

Thanks for the info,

I am surprised at how much i learned from the first 2 batches that I did which were extract brews. The first one got infected and turned out pretty terrible. The second batch I think I fermented at too high of a temp. It was drinkable but didn't taste all that great. Here's to hoping the third time is a charm.