Powers out... Again - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Powers out... Again

Old 01-31-2013, 04:11 PM   #1
russrob81
Recipes 

Dec 2012
Arnold, Maryland
Liked 142 Times on 85 Posts

It's a windy day so that means out power has gone out again. Moved into this house 2 years ago and have lost power for at least the 10th time. Over the summer the derecho storm hit here and we were out of power for 6 days, 4 houses on our grid with a tree down in the neighbours yard took out the pole while the rest of the neighbourhood was out for 3 days. Then hurricane sandy took out our power for 3 more days, I know I can't complain about that compared to other people. Anyone else have these problems. Plus it's a good new thread to vent on about.losing power. As energy prices go up and we can be charged for losing power

Old 01-31-2013, 04:38 PM   #2
TxBrew
Administrator
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Feb 2004
Liked 2205 Times on 775 Posts

We have power outages and are on well water so as soon as the pressure tank runs out, it's no water for us. Been actively looking into solar pump setups.

We have a lot of UPC so they provide power to most devices in an outage.

Register Now!

Old 01-31-2013, 04:42 PM   #3
Jayhem
Recipes 

Dec 2011
Culpeper, VA
Liked 279 Times on 225 Posts

Where do you live? I'm in VA....most of my area lost power from that Summer Derecho storm for days!...my house lost power for 15 minutes! During Sandy our power flickered...once! Can't complain as I'm also on well water and have about 500 lbs of meat in my deep freezer!
Keg #1: White Mosaic Pale Ale
Keg #2: Empty
Drinking: Amber Ale, White Mosaic Pale Ale

Old 01-31-2013, 05:24 PM   #4
russrob81
Recipes 

Dec 2012
Arnold, Maryland
Liked 142 Times on 85 Posts

Arnold MD, just north of Annapolis, luckily we have city water and gas water heater so we could flush and shower it was 100F that week so that helped. My buddy has well water and his roommate still used the toilets like an @$$. We lost $200 worth of food on the derecho and had an infestation of flies in our trash cans the rest of the summer. We put bags of ice in the freezer with our meat in prep for sandy and came out fine

Jayhem Likes This 
Old 01-31-2013, 05:47 PM   #5
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Liked 5015 Times on 3385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew View Post
We have power outages and are on well water so as soon as the pressure tank runs out, it's no water for us. Been actively looking into solar pump setups.

We have a lot of UPC so they provide power to most devices in an outage.
Wow, seems like you could figure out a way to get at least a little water out for drinking and cooking. I've never lived at a place that had well water, but I know lots of people who do.

What kind of draw does your pump motor have on it?

Old 01-31-2013, 06:47 PM   #6
Jayhem
Recipes 

Dec 2011
Culpeper, VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Wow, seems like you could figure out a way to get at least a little water out for drinking and cooking. I've never lived at a place that had well water, but I know lots of people who do.

The size of the well pump depends on the depth of the well. The deeper the well the larger the pump. My well is 380 feet deep! My pump is a 230V, 1phase, draws around 12 amps when it runs. The problem with running a well with a generator is it's difficult to hook up unless you already have an auxiliary power cord phased into the well circuit. Makes it more difficult if you have a 230V pump since most generators are only 115VAC.

It's a non issue if you are smart and prepare for storms by filling your extra fermenters and food grade buckets with water.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:43 PM   #7
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jan 2011
NE Columbia SC - Formerly, Montreal Canada
Liked 166 Times on 134 Posts

I live in a neighborhood where all of the electrical is underground, but the power still goes out when there's a storm. Go figure.

MC
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

Old 01-31-2013, 07:57 PM   #8
TxBrew
Administrator
HBT_ADMIN.png

Recipes 

Feb 2004
Liked 2205 Times on 775 Posts

Quote:

We have a 300'+ well so our pump has a massive draw. Currently exploring a dual solar pump setup to fill a reservoir tank which would require far less energy and allow for solar pumps, that way our water is not depended on the grid.

Register Now!

Old 01-31-2013, 08:00 PM   #9
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Liked 5015 Times on 3385 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhem View Post
The size of the well pump depends on the depth of the well. The deeper the well the larger the pump. My well is 380 feet deep! My pump is a 230V, 1phase, draws around 12 amps when it runs. The problem with running a well with a generator is it's difficult to hook up unless you already have an auxiliary power cord phased into the well circuit. Makes it more difficult if you have a 230V pump since most generators are only 115VAC.

It's a non issue if you are smart and prepare for storms by filling your extra fermenters and food grade buckets with water.
Yikes! I think most people here have 120V pumps and don't generally run much deeper than 150'.

Just checked with some guys and well depths vary from almost nothing (not recommended) down to 400' or so. We have lots of water table so most people can choose to go down as far as they want and hit water. The bigger the pipe the bigger the pump. I remember when I was young a 2" well was standard, now there are a lot of submerged pumps in 4-5" pipe.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:52 PM   #10
Jayhem
Recipes 

Dec 2011
Culpeper, VA

Quote:
Yikes! I think most people here have 120V pumps and don't generally run much deeper than 150'.

Just checked with some guys and well depths vary from almost nothing (not recommended) down to 400' or so. We have lots of water table so most people can choose to go down as far as they want and hit water. The bigger the pipe the bigger the pump. I remember when I was young a 2" well was standard, now there are a lot of submerged pumps in 4-5" pipe.
Yep, my deep well is 4". The reason for deep wells is usually because the driller could not get enough yield to meet the minimum standard for the location (usually 2gpm minimum yield) so they have to go deeper until they hit that mark. My well only refills at 3gpm but I have 952 gallons of extra water in my well at all times because it has water from 380 all the way up to 15' below the ground! If I wanted to I could set my well pump at only 150-200' deep and go with a smaller pump.