Powers out... Again - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Powers out... Again

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2013, 04:11 PM   #1
russrob81
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Arnold, Maryland
Posts: 496
Liked 142 Times on 85 Posts



It's a windy day so that means out power has gone out again. Moved into this house 2 years ago and have lost power for at least the 10th time. Over the summer the derecho storm hit here and we were out of power for 6 days, 4 houses on our grid with a tree down in the neighbours yard took out the pole while the rest of the neighbourhood was out for 3 days. Then hurricane sandy took out our power for 3 more days, I know I can't complain about that compared to other people. Anyone else have these problems. Plus it's a good new thread to vent on about.losing power. As energy prices go up and we can be charged for losing power

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:38 PM   #2
TxBrew
Administrator
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
TxBrew's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2004
Posts: 9,047
Liked 2205 Times on 775 Posts


We have power outages and are on well water so as soon as the pressure tank runs out, it's no water for us. Been actively looking into solar pump setups.

We have a lot of UPC so they provide power to most devices in an outage.
__________________
#zappabeefheart2016

Register Now!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:42 PM   #3
Jayhem
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Culpeper, VA
Posts: 2,640
Liked 279 Times on 225 Posts


Where do you live? I'm in VA....most of my area lost power from that Summer Derecho storm for days!...my house lost power for 15 minutes! During Sandy our power flickered...once! Can't complain as I'm also on well water and have about 500 lbs of meat in my deep freezer!
__________________
Next up: Amber Ale
Primary 1&2: 90 Min IPA clone
Primary 3&4: Belgian Wit
Keg #1: White Mosaic Pale Ale
Keg #2: Empty
Drinking: Amber Ale, White Mosaic Pale Ale

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:24 PM   #4
russrob81
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Arnold, Maryland
Posts: 496
Liked 142 Times on 85 Posts


Arnold MD, just north of Annapolis, luckily we have city water and gas water heater so we could flush and shower it was 100F that week so that helped. My buddy has well water and his roommate still used the toilets like an @$$. We lost $200 worth of food on the derecho and had an infestation of flies in our trash cans the rest of the summer. We put bags of ice in the freezer with our meat in prep for sandy and came out fine

Jayhem Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 05:47 PM   #5
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png
 
Homercidal's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Posts: 31,372
Liked 5015 Times on 3385 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by TxBrew View Post
We have power outages and are on well water so as soon as the pressure tank runs out, it's no water for us. Been actively looking into solar pump setups.

We have a lot of UPC so they provide power to most devices in an outage.
Wow, seems like you could figure out a way to get at least a little water out for drinking and cooking. I've never lived at a place that had well water, but I know lots of people who do.

What kind of draw does your pump motor have on it?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 06:47 PM   #6
Jayhem
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Culpeper, VA
Posts: 2,640
Liked 279 Times on 225 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Wow, seems like you could figure out a way to get at least a little water out for drinking and cooking. I've never lived at a place that had well water, but I know lots of people who do.

What kind of draw does your pump motor have on it?
The size of the well pump depends on the depth of the well. The deeper the well the larger the pump. My well is 380 feet deep! My pump is a 230V, 1phase, draws around 12 amps when it runs. The problem with running a well with a generator is it's difficult to hook up unless you already have an auxiliary power cord phased into the well circuit. Makes it more difficult if you have a 230V pump since most generators are only 115VAC.

It's a non issue if you are smart and prepare for storms by filling your extra fermenters and food grade buckets with water.
__________________
Next up: Amber Ale
Primary 1&2: 90 Min IPA clone
Primary 3&4: Belgian Wit
Keg #1: White Mosaic Pale Ale
Keg #2: Empty
Drinking: Amber Ale, White Mosaic Pale Ale

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:43 PM   #7
Misplaced_Canuck
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
Misplaced_Canuck's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
NE Columbia SC - Formerly, Montreal Canada
Posts: 2,887
Liked 166 Times on 134 Posts


I live in a neighborhood where all of the electrical is underground, but the power still goes out when there's a storm. Go figure.

MC
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Misplaced_Canuck
Carbonic bite? Is that like the bubonic plague?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebstauffer
Needless to say after more than a few drams my mental efficiency matched my mashing efficiency.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:57 PM   #8
TxBrew
Administrator
HBT_ADMIN.png
 
TxBrew's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2004
Posts: 9,047
Liked 2205 Times on 775 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Wow, seems like you could figure out a way to get at least a little water out for drinking and cooking. I've never lived at a place that had well water, but I know lots of people who do.

What kind of draw does your pump motor have on it?
We have a 300'+ well so our pump has a massive draw. Currently exploring a dual solar pump setup to fill a reservoir tank which would require far less energy and allow for solar pumps, that way our water is not depended on the grid.
__________________
#zappabeefheart2016

Register Now!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:00 PM   #9
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png
 
Homercidal's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2008
Reed City, MI
Posts: 31,372
Liked 5015 Times on 3385 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayhem View Post
The size of the well pump depends on the depth of the well. The deeper the well the larger the pump. My well is 380 feet deep! My pump is a 230V, 1phase, draws around 12 amps when it runs. The problem with running a well with a generator is it's difficult to hook up unless you already have an auxiliary power cord phased into the well circuit. Makes it more difficult if you have a 230V pump since most generators are only 115VAC.

It's a non issue if you are smart and prepare for storms by filling your extra fermenters and food grade buckets with water.
Yikes! I think most people here have 120V pumps and don't generally run much deeper than 150'.

Just checked with some guys and well depths vary from almost nothing (not recommended) down to 400' or so. We have lots of water table so most people can choose to go down as far as they want and hit water. The bigger the pipe the bigger the pump. I remember when I was young a 2" well was standard, now there are a lot of submerged pumps in 4-5" pipe.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:52 PM   #10
Jayhem
Recipes 
 
Dec 2011
Culpeper, VA
Posts: 2,640
Liked 279 Times on 225 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Homercidal View Post
Yikes! I think most people here have 120V pumps and don't generally run much deeper than 150'.

Just checked with some guys and well depths vary from almost nothing (not recommended) down to 400' or so. We have lots of water table so most people can choose to go down as far as they want and hit water. The bigger the pipe the bigger the pump. I remember when I was young a 2" well was standard, now there are a lot of submerged pumps in 4-5" pipe.
Yep, my deep well is 4". The reason for deep wells is usually because the driller could not get enough yield to meet the minimum standard for the location (usually 2gpm minimum yield) so they have to go deeper until they hit that mark. My well only refills at 3gpm but I have 952 gallons of extra water in my well at all times because it has water from 380 all the way up to 15' below the ground! If I wanted to I could set my well pump at only 150-200' deep and go with a smaller pump.
__________________
Next up: Amber Ale
Primary 1&2: 90 Min IPA clone
Primary 3&4: Belgian Wit
Keg #1: White Mosaic Pale Ale
Keg #2: Empty
Drinking: Amber Ale, White Mosaic Pale Ale

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What powers your boil kettle? freddyb Equipment/Sanitation 40 01-31-2010 04:37 PM
Happy Birthday Austin Powers... El Pistolero General Chit Chat 4 02-01-2006 03:42 AM
Them bottles have strange powers... Fudd General Beer Discussion 9 10-14-2005 02:06 PM


Forum Jump