Bottle Not Completely Filled. - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Bottle Not Completely Filled.

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2013, 03:57 PM   #1
LakesideBrewing
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
Methuen, MA
Posts: 462
Liked 490 Times on 123 Posts



Hi,

I just had a horrible experience(s) with counter pressure bottle filling. After several attempts I finally got the beer to flow OK. My only problem is that I didn't quite fill the bottles (12oz) all the way to the top. I'd say I'm about one and a half inches from the top, almost the entire neck of the bottle. This happened because I blasted Co2 on top of the beer before capping and I ended up blowing out some beer from the bottle. I'm only doing this to enter a homebrew comp and the deadline is next week. Will these to OK? Is it critical for carbonation levels for the beer to be right to the top of the bottle?

Thanks,
Mike


__________________
Lakeside Brewing Company

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:05 PM   #2
duboman
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Glenview, IL
Posts: 6,368
Liked 508 Times on 470 Posts


The bottles may take a little longer to carbonate with the extra head space but they should still carb up fine for you.

If the competition is next week though, even if they had been properly filled you are not leaving enough time for proper conditioning and carbonating unless the actual judging is still a few weeks out and they don't refrigerate your beers in the meantime. If they do you will be serving the judges flat, unconditioned beer

Average time to condition and carbonate a properly filled and primed bottle is 3 weeks at 70 degrees. That all being said, if everything goes well you may get dinged a point or two for improperly filled bottles but my concern at this point is not leaving enough time to even taste what you are submitting!


__________________
Nothing Left to do but smile and drink beer.....

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:16 PM   #3
LakesideBrewing
Recipes 
 
Mar 2012
Methuen, MA
Posts: 462
Liked 490 Times on 123 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by duboman View Post
The bottles may take a little longer to carbonate with the extra head space but they should still carb up fine for you.

If the competition is next week though, even if they had been properly filled you are not leaving enough time for proper conditioning and carbonating unless the actual judging is still a few weeks out and they don't refrigerate your beers in the meantime. If they do you will be serving the judges flat, unconditioned beer

Average time to condition and carbonate a properly filled and primed bottle is 3 weeks at 70 degrees. That all being said, if everything goes well you may get dinged a point or two for improperly filled bottles but my concern at this point is not leaving enough time to even taste what you are submitting!
Thanks for the response.
I guess I failed to point out that this beer is fully carbonated and I was filling the bottles with a counter pressure bottle filler from a keg.

Thanks!
__________________
Lakeside Brewing Company

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:23 PM   #4
HopsMan
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
Minnesota
Posts: 192
Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts


They might be a little flat, given that amount of head space. If you have more to refill a couple more bottles, I would. CP fillers take a few tries to get the hang of, they're kind of a pain in the ass at first. However, if you purge the bottle of O2 completely before you start letting the beer in, you shouldn't have to top it off with any CO2, there should already be some there. Hope this helps, and good luck with the Comp!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:23 PM   #5
duboman
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Glenview, IL
Posts: 6,368
Liked 508 Times on 470 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by LaFinDuMonde

Thanks for the response.
I guess I failed to point out that this beer is fully carbonated and I was filling the bottles with a counter pressure bottle filler from a keg.

Thanks!
Got it
Good luck with the comp!
__________________
Nothing Left to do but smile and drink beer.....

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:28 PM   #6
Frogmanx82
Recipes 
 
Nov 2012
Posts: 143
Liked 17 Times on 13 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by HopsMan View Post
They might be a little flat, given that amount of head space. If you have more to refill a couple more bottles, I would. CP fillers take a few tries to get the hang of, they're kind of a pain in the ass at first. However, if you purge the bottle of O2 completely before you start letting the beer in, you shouldn't have to top it off with any CO2, there should already be some there. Hope this helps, and good luck with the Comp!
I guess this would be true if you gradually lifted the filler out and let the CO2 stay on top of the beer. I see most videos fill to the top and then pull out the filler leaving an inch of air in the neck that was just pulled back into the bottle, sure to have some O2 in it. Based on that, I don't see the point in filling the bottle with CO2.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 08:13 PM   #7
HopsMan
Recipes 
 
Apr 2010
Minnesota
Posts: 192
Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts


Yeah, possibly, I would rather have a bottle full of CO2 and risk adding a small amount of O2, than just pour the beer into an O2 filled bottle. That being said, if you can gently release some CO2 on top, go for it. I wouldn't advise not purging the bottle though.



 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Last bottle filled.. Stauffbier Bottling/Kegging 22 01-10-2012 03:45 PM
partially filled bottle - OK? JLem Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 47 08-10-2010 11:47 AM
Young mead completely clear - bottle? nitasch Mead Forum 5 06-13-2009 12:49 PM
last bottle only 3/4 filled. will it carb? fatinma Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 10 04-28-2009 02:29 PM
Paid 98$ for a CO2 bottle that can't be filled..!??! Reidman Bottling/Kegging 27 12-05-2007 03:46 PM


Forum Jump