5g Stovetop + heatstick? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Electric Brewing > 5g Stovetop + heatstick?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-31-2013, 06:10 AM   #1
Antler
Recipes 
 
Mar 2011
Carbonear, Nl
Posts: 711
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts



Hey guys. I been brewing outside on a propane burner since I started AG last spring. I have 3 batches to get done soon, but lately it's been -15 and windy, I know holding mash temps are gonna be a nightmare, if I can even keep the burner lit. I was thinking I'd find any easy way to brew indoors.

If I built a 2000w heatstick, could I get 6.5 gallons of wort boiling with 2000w?

I plan to convert to 240v 5500w element eventually. Can I install this element in my pot now, and run it at 120v?

I just got another (maybe stupid) idea. Can I run the 240v 5500w element off of two separate 120v outlets? Plug both cords in while raising up to boil temps. Once wort starts boiling pull one plug? Maybe run one side through my ranco controller?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 02:50 PM   #2
cupido76
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 71
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Antler View Post
Hey guys. I been brewing outside on a propane burner since I started AG last spring. I have 3 batches to get done soon, but lately it's been -15 and windy, I know holding mash temps are gonna be a nightmare, if I can even keep the burner lit. I was thinking I'd find any easy way to brew indoors.

If I built a 2000w heatstick, could I get 6.5 gallons of wort boiling with 2000w?

I plan to convert to 240v 5500w element eventually. Can I install this element in my pot now, and run it at 120v?

I just got another (maybe stupid) idea. Can I run the 240v 5500w element off of two separate 120v outlets? Plug both cords in while raising up to boil temps. Once wort starts boiling pull one plug? Maybe run one side through my ranco controller?
I don't think 2000w will boil that much liquid on it's own, but maybe in conjunction with your stove it could work.

You can run a 240V element on 120V and you'll get 1/4 the wattage.

You can NOT just connect two 120's to your 240V element... There's nothing to connect your neutral wires to, and nothing to control the phasing of your two hot's.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 07:04 PM   #3
djt17
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
djt17's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Central MN
Posts: 791
Liked 56 Times on 49 Posts


I have used a 1500W heatstick with my gas stove. It works great for 5 gal batches. Without the heatstick I could never get 6.5 gal to boil.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:11 PM   #4
Antler
Recipes 
 
Mar 2011
Carbonear, Nl
Posts: 711
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by djt17
I have used a 1500W heatstick with my gas stove. It works great for 5 gal batches. Without the heatstick I could never get 6.5 gal to boil.
So you have no problem maintaing a good boil with just the stove?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:13 PM   #5
cupido76
Recipes 
 
Apr 2011
Calgary, Alberta
Posts: 71
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Antler View Post

So you have no problem maintaing a good boil with just the stove?
Actually, he said exactly the opposite.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 09:44 PM   #6
djt17
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
 
djt17's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Apr 2009
Central MN
Posts: 791
Liked 56 Times on 49 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Antler View Post
So you have no problem maintaining a good boil with just the stove?
Once I get to a boil, I can turn the stove down a little. Still need the heatstick though, just the stove won't do it.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 04:02 AM   #7
Antler
Recipes 
 
Mar 2011
Carbonear, Nl
Posts: 711
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts


Well either way it's out of the question for me. My Blichmann pot won't fit underneath the range hood on my stove, so I guess my only option is 2 120v elements, or use propane out in the cold.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:24 PM   #8
kevreh
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Annandale, VA
Posts: 259
Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts


I use a heatstick with my gas cooktop to get to boiling faster, then maintain the boil with just the cooktop.

Using two 120v elements is fine, but make sure the two different outlets are on seperate circuits. Not sure if you knew that or not.
__________________
On tap: Summer Ale, Vienna Lager/Ale
In the fermenter: 59 Minute IPA
On deck: Two Hearted IPA

My eBrewery

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 02:34 PM   #9
wilserbrewer
BIAB Expert Tailor
HBT_SPONSOR.png
 
wilserbrewer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2007
Jersey Shore, New Jersey
Posts: 9,702
Liked 1462 Times on 1112 Posts


If you are patient, 2000w will work for a 5 gal batch. though not ideal, it will also help to insulate the kettle by wrapping it in a towel, and keeping the pot covered as you approach boil, you may even need to partially cover during the boil, but your boiloff quantity will still be in range.

Given your options at -15 and windy, give it a shot.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2013, 03:16 PM   #10
Antler
Recipes 
 
Mar 2011
Carbonear, Nl
Posts: 711
Liked 19 Times on 17 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by wilserbrewer
If you are patient, 2000w will work for a 5 gal batch. though not ideal, it will also help to insulate the kettle by wrapping it in a towel, and keeping the pot covered as you approach boil, you may even need to partially cover during the boil, but your boiloff quantity will still be in range.

Given your options at -15 and windy, give it a shot.
Thanks! I guess it's worth a try! I have some reflectix lying around I can put on the kettle. I'll see what I can do.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Heatstick HELP!! Brulosopher Brew Stands 13 07-20-2012 01:46 AM
Heatstick Beer-lord Equipment/Sanitation 10 05-28-2012 03:06 AM
Can I Buy a Heatstick? larrynoz Equipment/Sanitation 32 06-10-2010 10:35 PM
Heatstick First Use lieb2101 Brew Stands 2 03-01-2010 07:18 PM
Looking for heatstick(s) VTBrewer Brew Stands 44 02-27-2009 02:30 AM


Forum Jump