White Labs vial spew - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > White Labs vial spew

Old 01-31-2013, 04:43 AM   #1
whoaru99
Recipes 

Oct 2012
Liked 140 Times on 117 Posts

Used a vial before, no problems. The one I used just a little bit ago to make what was supposed to be a starter must have spewed 1/3 to 1/2 the vial, even when trying to slowly open a little bit now and then. Pisses me off because I had planned for this to be my starter for Saturday or Sunday brew day, now this starter probably just gets me back to where I was before opening the vial.

Thinking it might be time to look at Wyeast if the vials are going to be a PITA...

Old 01-31-2013, 04:57 AM   #2
Dynachrome
Recipes 

Oct 2008
Americas Hinterland, Wisconsin
Liked 78 Times on 70 Posts

OOOhh, look at the threads you've cultivated at the bottom of the page - noice!

A starter, how much do you need for enough for pitch rate?

Old 01-31-2013, 08:40 AM   #3
GilSwillBasementBrews
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Jul 2012
Eagleville, Pennsylvania
Liked 274 Times on 227 Posts

Open the vial cold out of the fridge first that should release the pressure without the yeast spewing all over.

mcbaumannerb Likes This 
Old 01-31-2013, 12:21 PM   #4
whoaru99
Recipes 

Oct 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dynachrome View Post
A starter, how much do you need for enough for pitch rate?
170B was the target, made 1.25L to get roughly 190B, with the spew factor it looks like 140B or so.

Will it still make beer? Yeah, almost certainly, but the point of the starter size was aiming for better beer. :-)

Old 01-31-2013, 12:36 PM   #5
william_shakes_beer
Recipes 

Oct 2010
Maryland
Liked 223 Times on 179 Posts

Yeah, thats fairly common. As mentioned above, I also open the vial while still cold and decant about half of the starter beer. Then I recap loosely and place it on the countertop to warm up

Old 01-31-2013, 12:44 PM   #6
Revvy
Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2007
"Detroitish" Michigan
Liked 3198 Times on 1886 Posts

A tip I've posted in all the other vial spew threads is to get one of those big plastic funnels. Sanitize it, put that in whatever vessel you're making your starter in, hold the vial down inside the funnel, and open it slowly. That way any erupting yeast will hopefully hit the sides of the funnel and drip back down into your starter vessel the good thing is with a starter you will be able to make up the volume you lost.

What happens is that all the time the yeast has been awake in the tube it's been farting and producing co2, which of course is trapped in there just waiting for a chance for release......You ever been in an elevator and just had to let one rip? Same diff.

Revvy's one of the cool reverends. He has a Harley and a t-shirt that says on the back "If you can read this, the bitch was Raptured. - Madman

I gotta tell ya, just between us girls, that Revvy is HOT. Very tall, gorgeous grey hair and a terrific smile. He's very good looking in person, with a charismatic personality... he drives like a ****ing maniac! - YooperBrew

Old 02-01-2013, 12:29 AM   #7
Bulls Beers

Recipes 

Sep 2007
, Boston Bomber#1 place of death...
Liked 171 Times on 132 Posts

Happened to me today, but thank goodness I had a funnel to catch every drop..I really did.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:33 AM   #8
mcbaumannerb

Recipes 

May 2012
Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
Liked 6139 Times on 3533 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by GilSwillBasementBrews View Post
Open the vial cold out of the fridge first that should release the pressure without the yeast spewing all over.
THIS /^\ ... always open the lid when you take it out of the fridge. Then open and close it every 15 minutes as I comes up to room temp. Then shake, open and set it back down.

Facebook: BEEr

Old 02-01-2013, 03:11 AM   #9
Dynachrome
Recipes 

Oct 2008
Americas Hinterland, Wisconsin
Liked 78 Times on 70 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revvy View Post
A tip I've posted in all the other vial spew threads is to get one of those big plastic funnels. Sanitize it, put that in whatever vessel you're making your starter in, hold the vial down inside the funnel, and open it slowly. That way any erupting yeast will hopefully hit the sides of the funnel and drip back down into your starter vessel the good thing is with a starter you will be able to make up the volume you lost.

What happens is that all the time the yeast has been awake in the tube it's been farting and producing co2, which of course is trapped in there just waiting for a chance for release......You ever been in an elevator and just had to let one rip? Same diff.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls Beers View Post
Happened to me today, but thank goodness I had a funnel to catch every drop..I really did.
....you farted in an elevator and caught it....

Old 02-01-2013, 12:59 PM   #10
whoaru99
Recipes 

Oct 2012

This stuff (WPL 004) looks like it flocs fairly well. I think I'm going to decant off most of the liquid and crash that, then pitch another liter or so on the starter cake. Should be ready to roll on Sunday.