Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Beer serving glasses

Old 01-31-2013, 02:27 AM   #1
OrdinaryAvgGuy
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 181 Times on 128 Posts
Likes Given: 113

Default Beer serving glasses

Just curious, what type of container do you serve your guests' beer in. I have my first batch about to be ready in 3 weeks and plan to have a handful of folks come over for a sampling of my first batch. I'm considering purchasing customized pint glasses with my name and logo. A bit cheezy? What do you think?

Old 01-31-2013, 02:37 AM   #2
SpottedDogBrewing
Hmmm, BEER!
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 10 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 51 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I have a collection of pint glasses from different brewery's + some with my logo on them in the freezer just waiting for guests. It's always special to get a frozen mug and fill it your self. Your guests will love it and think its sweet:-)
Cheers

"This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!"
-Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

"The nations of the West also have their own intoxicant, made from grain soaked in water...Alas, what wonderful ingenuity vice possesses! A method has actually been discovered for making even water intoxicated."
- Pliny the Elder

Old 01-31-2013, 02:43 AM   #3
harrymanback92
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Do whatever you want man. Part of the joy of this hobby, and I think, why most of us do it. Have fun with it; if you want custom glasses, get custom glasses.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:55 AM   #4
hoppyhoppyhippo
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 328 Times on 265 Posts
Likes Given: 90

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpottedDogBrewing View Post
I have a collection of pint glasses from different brewery's + some with my logo on them in the freezer just waiting for guests. It's always special to get a frozen mug and fill it your self. Your guests will love it and think its sweet:-)
Cheers
I have an obscene amount of brewery glasses. I have some favorites though for home brew. Any of my stemmed beer glasses, which I have 3 Ommegangs, a Weyerbacher (my personal favorite as a Tulip glass) a Corsendonk, 2 35th Anniversary Stuff yet Face glasses and a Magic Hat something or the other.

I'm not a fan of sharing something I love so much in shaker glasses. Something that actually holds head and aromas in instead of letting them escape all willy nilly. That said I love my shakers for display, but I prefer the beer specific glasses, like pilsner glasses, pub glasses, etc. Shakers are great for water, for mixed drinks, tea, etc. And they'll do in a pinch for beer. But I'm a sucker for beer specific glasses.

For my own tasting I want to get this LINK

Old 01-31-2013, 03:02 AM   #5
twalte
Recipes 

Liked 29 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppyhoppyhippo View Post
I'm not a fan of sharing something I love so much in shaker glasses. Something that actually holds head and aromas in instead of letting them escape all willy nilly. That said I love my shakers for display, but I prefer the beer specific glasses, like pilsner glasses, pub glasses, etc. Shakers are great for water, for mixed drinks, tea, etc. And they'll do in a pinch for beer. But I'm a sucker for beer specific glasses.
+1

Personally, I think shaker pints are the absolute worst glassware for serving beer. Head retention sucks, and there is nothing special about the experience. I would opt for virtually any other glassware than shaker pints. The only reason bars use them is that they are very durable and stackable.

I believe the glassware link he sent you is available at Target for $19.99 too.

Old 01-31-2013, 03:12 AM   #6
ktblunden
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 2 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 331 Times on 204 Posts
Likes Given: 26

We buy glassware from each brewery we visit. Unfortunately most of them only have shaker pints, but anytime they have imperial pints or tulips we're sure to grab one. That's pretty much all the glassware we have at the moment. I'm looking at getting some vinyl templates made to etch my own set of glasses. There's quite a few threads on here dealing with that. It's quite a bit cheaper than having glasses custom made, there's usually a pretty hefty setup charge for that.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:08 AM   #7
bphelan
Recipes 

Likes Given: 1

I love these http://www.dogfish.com/store/glasswa...ture-glass.htm

A little pricey but they're awesome

Old 01-31-2013, 04:27 AM   #8
ArtimusBeerimus
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Like some of the folks in this thread, I collect brewery glassware and make a point of visiting breweries whenever I travel. Been doing it for over 23 years and have... Well... Too many damn glasses. I keep an assortment of about 75 of my more interesting glasses in a display cabinet in my kitchen and let people chose their own glasses. It's fun... Participatory... And I get to show off my brewing obsession in my glassware obsession. Perfect!

Old 01-31-2013, 04:35 AM   #9
weirdboy
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 4 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 440 Times on 359 Posts
Likes Given: 63

I don't buy any of my glassware, but...I DO occasionally get free glassware from pint nights, beer festivals, etc. Enough now that I have a fully-stocked cabinet of various glassware with many different brewery logos on them. Which comes in handy, because when you have several people over, each of them can get a different glass from a different brewery, and then it's easy to tell whose glass belongs to whom. When all your glasses look the same, you inevitably get the "is that you glass, or mine?" problem cropping up.
Subsailor Likes This 
Old 01-31-2013, 04:37 AM   #10
doctorRobert
Recipes 

Liked 37 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 15

sierra nevada's hop tulip glasses - pint glasses with a hop etched on the bottom, which aides in head retention by speeding up the release of co2.

Yo, What's Wrong With The Beer We Got? I Mean the Beer we got drank pretty Good Don't It? I Ain't Never Heard nobody complain about the beer we have..... It Drank Pretty Good. Budweiser...What's the name of some of them other beers ?