Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Secondary - Quick question.

Old 09-13-2007, 01:53 AM   #1
Brad3529
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Secondary - Quick question.

Hello All-
I have 4 questions if anyone could answer please:

1.) I have a Cherry Wheat that I just transfered to the secondary after 10 days. How long should I keep it in there? Also, do you think it will clear up any....it is very very cloudy.

2.) I put 3 lbs. of cherries in the primary. Some advised to put into secondary only but it was after the fact. Do you think I will get any cherry flavor?

3.) I didnt do a hydrometer reading. Any idea of alc. content in this recipe:
1 Can Mutons Wheat 4lbs
2 lbs Spraymalt Extract Dry. Plain Extra Lt.
1 lb Plain Wheat Spray Extract Dry
3lbs Dark sweet cherries.

and last:
4.) Alc. content of this one thats in bottles:

4lbs. Mountmellick Irish Stout Extract
1lb Lactose
3 lbs Plain Dark Extract
10 Tablespoons Dry Herseys Chocolate

- I just bottled the Chocolate Milk Stout 3 days ago. What do you all figure - 1 month conditioning???? or more / less.

Thanks for all you help.

Old 09-13-2007, 02:07 PM   #2
TheJadedDog
AFK ATM
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts

1) I'd leave it at least 14 days, probably won't clear much as wheat's have a lot of proteins in them and are meant to be cloudy.

2) Yes, you will still get some cherry flavor.

3+4) It is impossible to determine alcohol content without knowing both your OG and FG. Next time use your hydrometer, it is your friend.

A month sounds about right for a Milk Stout.

On Tap: Nadda
Primary: Nadda
Planning: Extra Special Bitter

Old 09-13-2007, 02:44 PM   #3
Trencher
Recipes 

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

You should be able to estimate alcohol levels based on the standard OG predictions for your extracts and assuming you got to the lower end of your yeast's attenuation (% sugar conversion to alcohol). This thread discusses the calculations but doesn't mention the points for wheat extracts:
http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=36916

Was your stout made using liquid or dry extract? What type yeast did you use for each batch?

Old 09-14-2007, 02:18 AM   #4
Brad3529
Recipes 

Hi Trencher-
For the Choc. Milk Stout - I used 4lbs Liquid Extract and 3lbs Dry. Yeast: White Labs Liquid English Ale Yeast.

For the Cherry Wheat:
Dry yeast - Ale Safale US-05 ( thats what it said on the pack & the brew store recommended it).
Thanks for both your coments Trencher & TheJadedDog.

Take care.