Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > just got beer smith...

Old 01-31-2013, 01:38 AM   #1
Shifty11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default just got beer smith...

Been putting my ingredients into BeerSmith for a clone I'm going to do in the next week or so. It's a "close" extract clone for Dechutes Red Chair NWPale Ale. Definitely not an exact recipe, and I know this, but it should be close-ish, and good to drink regardless.

The issue I was looking for help with is in the ingredients in BeerSmith, Pilsen Dried Malt Extract and Carastan Malt do not exist. I manually entered as much info on both ingredients as I could, but I don't have all the info I need and I think it's having a big impact on how accurate the final beer numbers are turning out. I used what I think are close representative malts to fill in the numbers.

Anybody have any feedback or info on this?

Specifically I'm looking for color/SRM, Potential SG, yield, and anything else I might need to input to get these as accurate as possible.

If you need any other info or the recipe, or whatever, just let me know.

Thanks!

Old 01-31-2013, 01:47 AM   #2
Cybershadow
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 1

There is an option for addons in beer smith which will give you a lot more ingredients. Just click on that and download all of them.

Old 01-31-2013, 02:44 AM   #3
zzARzz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 5

If you go to "File->Add-ons..." and click on the "+ADD" button there are several manufacturers (Briess, Coopers, Weyerman, etc.) to easily add. Under "Type" they are listed as "Grain." Just double-click on the ones you want and they'll be automatically installed. They should then be listed under Grain in BeerSmith when you select your fermentables.
iaefebs Likes This 
Old 01-31-2013, 03:14 AM   #4
Shifty11
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Thanks guys, that was a huge help! I just did that for everything that was in the addons. I got the Breiss malts now. Apparently Carastan is made by Bairds, and it isn't in there.

Thoughts? Is carastan close enough to to caramel/crystal 30 or 40 that I can just use those stats for it?

Old 01-31-2013, 04:18 PM   #5
zzARzz
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 47 Times on 39 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Northern Brewer has it in stock here if you can wait for shipping. Otherwise a Crystal 20L or 40L malt would make a decent substitute depending on how dark you want it. Since it's basically just a crystal malt, I would copy the stats from Briess Crystal 40L (they should be pretty close to carastan).

Old 01-31-2013, 05:43 PM   #6
zeg
Recipes 

Liked 129 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 137

Most maltsters have typical malt analyses available online. Google finds them pretty easily with a "maltster malt_type" query.

http://www.countrymaltgroup.com/bairdsmalt.asp

Carastan:
8% moisture (max)
30-40L
77% potential extract