Wort Chiller: Standard or Hose fittings? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Wort Chiller: Standard or Hose fittings?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 08:36 PM   #1
craigsf
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Posts: 4


I'm a long time reader, but this is the first time I've actually had a question that I couldn't find the answer to by searching!

I'm ready to move up from ice baths to an immersion wort chiller, but am unsure which to order for my situation. I live in an apartment so I don't have garden hose access and I have one of those sprayer kitchen sinks so I can't hook up to that. I see my options as follows:

-Bathroom sink: this is pretty convenient since it's near the kitchen and it has a standard bathroom faucet where the threaded doohicky with the aerator can be unscrewed.

-Laundry room: slightly less convenient since it's far from a sink, but I can access the tap without moving the machines, so not too bad.

My confusion is that it looks like you can order a standard chiller (I assume with kitchen sink hookups) or one with garden hose fittings. Which of these would I order for the two options above and will I need any additional adapters or fittings to make it work?

Thanks!
Craig



 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:04 PM   #2
freisste
Recipes 
 
Sep 2012
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Posts: 2,531
Liked 341 Times on 276 Posts


I use a laundry sink because my kitchen sink also has a sprayer. It is a standard hose bib. That's mine, anyway.



 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:19 PM   #3
DodgeeDoo
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
West Hollywood, CA
Posts: 14
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


With the laundry hook up, I'm pretty sure you just need a standard garden hose Y splitter coming from the wall. Look for a solid/hefty one, you don't want leaks in a laundry room you don't frequent every day.

Plus, someone else mentioned this, you can use the spent hot water from the chiller on a batch of clothes. Goin' green by making beer, right? Hahaha.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:23 PM   #4
DodgeeDoo
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
West Hollywood, CA
Posts: 14
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Also, with the bathroom, lowes and HD sell faucet thread to garden hose attachments that quick snap on and off, so in theory, you could get the garden hose attachment Chiller setup and be set up for either situation.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:31 PM   #5
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
AnOldUR's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2007
, New Jersey
Posts: 6,886
Liked 844 Times on 609 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsf View Post
My confusion is that it looks like you can order a standard chiller (I assume with kitchen sink hookups) or one with garden hose fittings. Which of these would I order for the two options above and will I need any additional adapters or fittings to make it work?
My preference is to use a bucket in the sink and a pond pump to push the water through the IC. That way you can put ice in the bucket at the end of the chill to get those last few, hard to hit, degrees.

edb Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:48 PM   #6
edb
Recipes 
 
Jan 2008
Chicago
Posts: 261
Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldUR View Post
My preference is to use a bucket in the sink and a pond pump to push the water through the IC. That way you can put ice in the bucket at the end of the chill to get those last few, hard to hit, degrees.

Rather than using ice with your setup take some empty plastic pop bottles fill them with saltwater (table salt and water) leave about an inch of head space in the bottles and freeze them. Depending on how much salt you use can can drop the temps down to 20f. And best of all just toss them back in your freezer when your done.
__________________

Fermenter 1: Gumball head clone
Fermenter 2: Azacca Mosaic Promise-ish

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 10:44 PM   #7
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
AnOldUR's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2007
, New Jersey
Posts: 6,886
Liked 844 Times on 609 Posts


Actually, I use the freezer packs that ship with yeast.

But I like the water bottle idea. I worry about the packs breaking and not knowing what's in them.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:16 AM   #8
rayfound
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Riverside, CA
Posts: 189
Liked 42 Times on 24 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by edb View Post
Rather than using ice with your setup take some empty plastic pop bottles fill them with saltwater (table salt and water) leave about an inch of head space in the bottles and freeze them. Depending on how much salt you use can can drop the temps down to 20f. And best of all just toss them back in your freezer when your done.

Adding salt to the bottles isn't doing anything to lower the temp in your chiller. You'd have to be pumping the salt water for that to work.

Salt lowers the freezing point of water, so you could get water that's below 32 but still liquid. But the frozen bottles are not going to get any colder than the freezer temp, regardless of what's inside.

If you want to make it COLDER than 32F, you'll need to add Ice and Saltwater to a cooler or bucket and pump from that. The Saltwater will get below 32F and stay liquid.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:21 AM   #9
AnOldUR
fer-men-TAY-shuhn
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
AnOldUR's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Mar 2007
, New Jersey
Posts: 6,886
Liked 844 Times on 609 Posts


If the water in the bucket is 50 degrees and you put something in that's 20 degrees, the temperature of the water in the bucket will end up lower than if you had put in something that was 32 degrees. So the water pumping through the chiller will be colder and chill faster.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 04:38 AM   #10
rayfound
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Riverside, CA
Posts: 189
Liked 42 Times on 24 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by AnOldUR View Post
If the water in the bucket is 50 degrees and you put something in that's 20 degrees, the temperature of the water in the bucket will end up lower than if you had put in something that was 32 degrees. So the water pumping through the chiller will be colder and chill faster.
Adding salt is not changing the temp of the bottles

Edit: its only changing the melting temperature of the contents.


__________________
Beer, beer everywhere, and not a drop to drink.

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Wort chiller - garden hose vs vinyl tubing/hose clamps for kitchen brewing. Stein Equipment/Sanitation 9 07-04-2014 10:42 PM
25 ft Immersion chiller w/garden hose fittings Coff For Sale 9 11-13-2012 03:23 PM
Wort Chiller - 25 ft x 3/8 in. With Brass Hose Fittings ZymurGuy For Sale 3 10-24-2011 05:38 PM
Immersion Chiller Fittings Just Leaked Hose Water into Wort Newgene General Beer Discussion 14 02-15-2011 02:58 AM
Converting a S.S. Wort Chiller to Have Hose Fittings postman Equipment/Sanitation 20 07-15-2009 12:20 PM


Forum Jump