Brewing Bloopers and Blunders - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Brewing Bloopers and Blunders

Old 01-30-2013, 02:48 PM   #1
RedGuitar
Recipes 

Nov 2010
Raleigh, NC
Liked 28 Times on 20 Posts

We've all made them, and sometimes they are downright funny (and valuable learning experiences). So what are some of yours?

I'll start:

A few batches ago, without thinking about it I poured all 3 pounds of DME into my boiling wort. If you do that, it is impossible to stir fast enough to dissolve the DME. Instead, the DME will clump together on the top, forming a very solid lid. The problem with this is the rising, very hot bubbles that need to escape from the liquid underneath. It will explode.

This past weekend, I rehydrated my yeast in water that was about 160* (I should really have paid closed attention). Yeast cannot survive at that temperature, and will not ferment your beer afterwards.

I also fell while carrying 5 gallons of sanitized water in my brew bucket down the basement stairs. The good news is, my entire basement is sanitized. The bad news is, I broke my hydrometer (but nothing else, thankfully).

"Good men drink good beer." -Hunter S. Thompson

Old 01-30-2013, 02:52 PM   #2
aiptasia

Recipes 

Jul 2011
Them Scary Woods, FL
Liked 544 Times on 481 Posts

My favorite is forgetting to put the fermcap in my wort. I just use airlocks. Nothing like finding the lid completely blown off your primary and tons of wort and krausen leaking out the bottom of your drop freezer.

2014: Seven Heavens Series One: Vilon, Mystic Melomel, Skeeter Pee.