Country music's fixation on ICE COLD BEER - Page 6 - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > Drunken Ramblings and Mindless Mumbling > Country music's fixation on ICE COLD BEER

Old 01-30-2013, 10:42 PM   #51
cheezydemon3
Recipes 

Nov 2009
louisville
Liked 1672 Times on 1251 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoppyhoppyhippo View Post
She is a pop artist so she's limited in what she can write and perform.
The brewers at the BUD ICE factory are pretty limited in what they can make too.

Like I said, she has talent. If she chooses to pander to the top 40 zombies and limit herself, rather than being true to herself, then I hate her all the more.

Even if she was pop to the core and was being true to herself, she is SO sickeningly sweet pop that I would still not listen to it.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:57 PM   #52
hoppyhoppyhippo

Recipes 

Dec 2012
New Brunswick, NJ
Liked 415 Times on 339 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon3 View Post
The brewers at the BUD ICE factory are pretty limited in what they can make too.

Like I said, she has talent. If she chooses to pander to the top 40 zombies and limit herself, rather than being true to herself, then I hate her all the more.

Even if she was pop to the core and was being true to herself, she is SO sickeningly sweet pop that I would still not listen to it.
Difference is that the Bud Ice Brewers aren't doign it to be ironic.

As far as pandering, I don't think she's pandered at all out side of following a traditional pop formula. Which if you knock her for that, knock the Beetles as well as they followed the same basic formula.

Old 01-30-2013, 10:59 PM   #53
cheezydemon3
Recipes 

Nov 2009
louisville

Quote:
Difference is that the Bud Ice Brewers aren't doign it to be ironic.

As far as pandering, I don't think she's pandered at all out side of following a traditional pop formula. Which if you knock her for that, knock the Beetles as well as they followed the same basic formula.
I think the Beatles accidentally invented it. They weren't following anybody.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:01 PM   #54
phenry
Recipes 

Feb 2011
Clemson, SC
Liked 121 Times on 73 Posts

What's even the definition of country music these days? I feel like it's more and more defined by singing about trucks, ice cold beer, fried chicken after church, and shopping at wal-mart.

Then there's guys like this:

Who sing about stuff that not just us backwater inhabitants experience.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:06 PM   #55
hoppyhoppyhippo

Recipes 

Dec 2012
New Brunswick, NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheezydemon3 View Post
I think the Beatles accidentally invented it. They weren't following anybody.
Beatles just stole from the black Jazz/Blues musicians. Either directly or by proxy.

Old 01-30-2013, 11:29 PM   #56
cheezydemon3
Recipes 

Nov 2009
louisville

Quote:
Beatles just stole from the black Jazz/Blues musicians. Either directly or by proxy.
Oh hell, you are right! I kinda blocked that from my memory.

Sure, eff the beatles too........

Old 01-31-2013, 01:28 AM   #57
Billy-Klubb
HBT Berry Puncher

Recipes 

Nov 2012
Windom, MN
Liked 5916 Times on 3477 Posts

I grew up in Rapid City, SD, where the Kmart cowboys were a damn plague. to make it more interesting, they were bikers when it was time for the Sturgis Rally. but I got to hear a lot of, "I'm a simple man, with simple tastes. I don't need no fancy new imported beer. Just a regular, honest, plain, ice cold Bud. The way beer's supposed to be."

I also got a good laugh from one of these town dwelling, Reba talking, giant buckle buying, wanna be $h!ft kickers. guy walks into a fancy coffee place, the kind that specializes in espresso drinks and premium roast coffees. then proceeds to make a huge production about how he was just a "plain, regular, normal, everyday cawffee. Not some mochachini frapalini. Just a regular, everyday cawffee." I told him there's a gas station less than half a block away. the server ended up giving him some mild breakfast blend and he said it was too strong.
"If ceramic squirrels are banned, only druks will have ceramic squirrels!"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randar View Post
I've plenty of legit material... No need to go making up quotes for your sig.

Old 01-31-2013, 01:37 AM   #58
Airborneguy
Adjunct of the Law
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Sep 2009
Isle of Staten
Liked 855 Times on 626 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiptasia View Post
PKU. Let your wife, kids and extended family listen to whatever they want. Only rule in our house is the one that drives the car is the one that gets to pick the radio station or CD.
Who said anything about not letting her listen to what she wants?

Old 01-31-2013, 04:59 AM   #59
bighornmountaindew
Recipes 

Jan 2013
Jacksonville, NC
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Pokerface is incredibly well written.

Also realize I'm talking about music as much as lyrics. Led Zeppelin and Rush are 2 amazing bands, but some of their songs are so poorly written it's comical. This is coming from mind you a massive Led Zeppelin fan and a big Rush fan.

She is a pop artist so she's limited in what she can write and perform.
I'd like to see Gaga write a song about two arguing trees and have it be legit. Mr. Peart's writing is, for the most part, very well written. Gaga is better than most of these pop artists, but she is in no way on par with Neil and Geddy. Oh, BTW I don't really like Rush. I have a man crush on Layne Staley and Jerry Cantrell. Now that is some well written music.

Old 01-31-2013, 05:10 AM   #60
hoppyhoppyhippo

Recipes 

Dec 2012
New Brunswick, NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighornmountaindew View Post
I'd like to see Gaga write a song about two arguing trees and have it be legit. Mr. Peart's writing is, for the most part, very well written. Gaga is better than most of these pop artists, but she is in no way on par with Neil and Geddy. Oh, BTW I don't really like Rush. I have a man crush on Layne Staley and Jerry Cantrell. Now that is some well written music.
The trees has horrific lyrics. At best it's a thinly veiled political song, at worst it's a nonsensical song about trees talking (he said his inspiration was a cartoon with 2 trees talkign to each other) let's not make him out to be a better song writer than he was. Rush is amazing because of their skilsl as a musicians and the oddly spectacular singing of Geddy Lee.

I love AIC. But some of their stuff is very cruddy as well. I mean I love Nutshell, but it sounds like it was written by a high school freshman. Song writing is freaking hard.