Cherries in the Snow - Primary Fermentation - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > Cherries in the Snow - Primary Fermentation
Cool Brewing Giveaway - Supporting Membership Drive & Discount

Old 09-12-2007, 09:09 PM   #1
K Spec
Recipes 

Sep 2006

I try to make this, a couple months back, and I used a glass carboy for primary fermentation; it didn't make it any further because the airlock got clogged with cherry crap and exploded. Should I be using a bucket instead of a carboy? Anyone else had sucess with this recipe or another fruit beer?

Old 09-12-2007, 09:12 PM   #2
Jim Karr

Recipes 

Dec 2005
SW Michigan..Bangor/Covert area
Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Anytime you're adding fruit to a fermenter, prepare for a massive restart of the fermentation. You must use a blowoff tube, because the amount of CO2 created will overwhelm the airlock, plus you'll (as you found out) get solids lodged in the airlock too.

"God is great, beer is good, people are crazy." Some country artist

Old 09-13-2007, 03:31 AM   #3
K Spec
Recipes 

Sep 2006

Awesome. Thanks for the info.

Old 09-13-2007, 05:48 AM   #4
skou
Recipes 

Aug 2006
Mesa, Arizona
Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

One of my customers did this recipe, and did it in a 5 gallon carboy. Blew the airlock completely off. His "better half" referred to it as "Cherries on the ceiling." Needless to say, she wasn't happy!

steve

Old 09-13-2007, 12:24 PM   #5
kinison_fan
Recipes 

Sep 2007
Downingtown, PA
Liked 54 Times on 51 Posts

Yes, blow off tube.
Get a 3-4 foot section of 1 1/4 (or 1 1/2) inch OD tubing. One end will jam in tightly in the mouth of the carboy, the other end in a juice jug half filled with water. This is just a large air lock, and it will handle all the large crap that blows out during "violent" primary fermentation.

You can leave this on for the duration, or swap it with a regular air lock after 3 or 4days.

btw, I made this about 10 years ago-it was awesome. I drank one case as soon as it carbed, the other was stored in the basement for six months. The aged case was definetly better.

Old 09-13-2007, 04:25 PM   #6
Brewer#19
Recipes 

Jul 2007
Tonawanda, NY

i just brewed a cherry beer using not the recipe for cherries in the snow, but still it had 8.5 lbs of cheeries in the primary. definitely use a blow off, i did my primary in a bucket not a carboy and ended up not quite reaching the cap so i did not have any true "blow off." carboy is much different, i would have had blow off based on the reduced space.

Old 09-22-2007, 02:47 AM   #7
goldengrl
Recipes 

Jul 2007

I'm drinking this (with an adjustment) and just use a blow-off as said. Also don't expect it to taste sweet. I had to sweeten my with a little splenda when bottling so that it would be sorta like a lambic but I really like it and have gotten thumbs up on it.

Primary: Irish Red
Secondary: Honey Bee Lager
Bottled: Pale Ale, Magic Hat 9 clone