Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > should I take gravity reading?

Old 01-30-2013, 03:52 AM   #11
Drewd004
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Great info here. This recipe was an extract with steeping grains. How many batches do most people here recommend before going to an all grain?

Old 01-30-2013, 03:56 AM   #12
BobbiLynn
Recipes 

Liked 791 Times on 539 Posts
Likes Given: 389

If the kit you bought says 5-7 days, that means 10-14 days in the real world.

No gravity reading now!!! It's okay to follow the instructions from a kit to a tee... except... always at least double the times it says!!!

And stop looking at your airlock!! That means nothing!!! Well, actually it means fermentation has slowed down... doesn't mean it stopped!!!

Old 01-30-2013, 04:00 AM   #13
steber
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewd004 View Post
Great info here. This recipe was an extract with steeping grains. How many batches do most people here recommend before going to an all grain?
When you're confident you're hooked on the hobby. Ag takes more of an investment of time and money. For me, it was after 5 batches. Don't make the jump thinking you'll make better beer either, both ag and extract make good beers. So no need to rush unless you're read up on the processes and ready to make the jump.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:52 AM   #14
BobbiLynn
Recipes 

Liked 791 Times on 539 Posts
Likes Given: 389

Quote:
Took me over 4 years to make the switch. By then AG was a breeze, like mini mashes I had already perfected, but bigger equipment, more grain. I now have 2 AG batches under my belt, and well over 100 extract brews.

Old 01-30-2013, 12:59 PM   #15
eric19312
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 88 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewd004
My journey to AG was not a jump, it was a series of unplanned steps.

I started with 3 Brewers Best kits. Then I made 9 partial mash recipes using ingredients from LHBS. My partial mash recipes were better than my kits which gave me the confidence to continue the process.

My LHBS sells a 33 lb LME carboy at a decent price. Think less than $50. My PM recipes used about 7 lbs LME, 2 or 3 lbs 2-row base malt, and 1-2 lbs specialty malts (total 4 lbs grain) for my self designed partial mash recipes. Picked out hops and used software to figure out schedules. I mashed (true mash not steeping grains as i had to convert the 2-row) in a big enameled cast iron stew pot and "batch sparged" using a colander.

Was having a lot of fun so I started to acquire gear. First my giant kitchen strainer used for both lautering ( just held 4 lbs grain, worked better than the colander) and then my grain mill as my LBHS didn't crush at the time. Then my 10 gal pot. Incorporated each piece into a couple batches before adding next piece. Finally after all that was working on partial mash recipes I built my mash/lauter tun and bought a couple 50 lb sacks of grain...presto I'm an AG brewer. Still have about 5 lbs LME left from my second carboy, am using that for yeast starters.

I now have 5 AG batches done but still waiting to taste first, rest haven't gotten into bottles yet.

Am sure your journey will also be fun, whether you jump immediately to AG or continue with extract for 100 batches like poster above. If you are posting in here I'm guessing you already know you are hooked!

Old 01-30-2013, 05:32 PM   #16
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 156 Times on 146 Posts
Likes Given: 89

Quote:
i made 2 extract batches then went all grain, if had to do it again i would go all grain right away and it's what i tell friends to do who are interested in brewing.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:42 PM   #17
Caveman3141
Recipes 

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Don't worry about moving to a secondary but I'm doing to dissent here and say go ahead and pop it open and take a gravity reading. It's only a 1.050 amber so it's perfectly possible this beer could've completely fermented in 3-5 days.

Take one now and take one 2-3 days from now.

Old 01-30-2013, 05:43 PM   #18
cluckk
Recipes 

Liked 356 Times on 228 Posts
Likes Given: 47

I tell friends if you are the person who only wants to make something you like to drink and share will little interest in fine-tuning then start with extract and see what happens from there. If they are the kind who.must tweak and fiddle with stuff always wanting to outdone the last time, then jump right into all grain.

Even then the learning curve can be made less severe, and the investment in equipment spread out with a few extract batches followed by a few partial mash batches.