Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > should I take gravity reading?

Old 01-30-2013, 01:16 AM   #1
Drewd004
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default should I take gravity reading?

im brand new to this site. just started my 2nd batch of beer, 1st batch was a Mr beer so some would say this is technically my first. brewing an amber ale from brewers best. brew day was sunday and everything went great. My airlock was bubbling great all monday and just as much when i went to work this morning. when i got back, there was no more bubbling. My first question 1) should i open the fermenter to check the gravity? My 2nd question is should i still wait a couple more days to move to the secondary fermenter? Cant wait to hear your responses! thank you!

Old 01-30-2013, 01:19 AM   #2
krduckman
Recipes 

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Be patient and let it sit. You have at least another 2 weeks for the yeast to do its job and clean up. Take a gravity read at the end of the 2 week period for 3 days in a row and if it is the same reading then it is done if not, then let it sit longer. It's not unusual to give it 3-4 weeks.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:20 AM   #3
brettg20
Recipes 

Liked 98 Times on 68 Posts
Likes Given: 7

If you saw that fermentation was going great then I would wait a week or so until you take a reading. Just because it isn't bubbling doesn't mean it isn't fermenting.

I would wait around 2 weeks at least before transferring to secondary. You want to give the yeast time to clean up after themselves before transferring. Are you using a secondary to cold crash or dry hop?

Old 01-30-2013, 01:25 AM   #4
Brewsit
Recipes 

Liked 18 Times on 17 Posts

A lack of airlock activity doesn't necessarily mean anything. The yeast has probably just slowed its activity. I wouldn't open it for a few more days. I recently brewed a batch that I never saw any activity on (I was gone for the first two days of fermentation), but it fermented completely nonetheless. If you brewed on Sunday, I would wait until at least Friday to check it, and depending on the brew, maybe longer. It won't hurt to wait, but it will hurt if you play with it too much and it gets infected.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:28 AM   #5
eric19312
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 80 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 17

My vote is to leave it alone. Don't open it as you have a nice protective co2 blanket now. Wait till 2 weeks from when you brewed it and go ahead and bottle it.

I don't think secondary will make it better.

I don't think it will need more than 2 weeks, probably would be fine after 1 week but won't get worse between 1 week and 2-4 weeks and might get somewhat better as the yeast cleans up its waste products. DO Take a gravity reading when you open it to bottle. If it is in the expected range for the kit (assuming your OG was in expected range) then go ahead and bottle.

When you bottle don't use the whole 5 oz priming sugar. Find a calculator online (I like the one at northernbrewer), rack your beer into a measured bottling bucket, and prime with the right amount of sugar. You probably want something like 2.2 volumes of co2 for amber ale, might be as little as 3.5 oz sugar depending on the volume of beer you get into your bottling bucket.

Good luck!

Old 01-30-2013, 01:30 AM   #6
Drewd004
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by brettg20 View Post
If you saw that fermentation was going great then I would wait a week or so until you take a reading. Just because it isn't bubbling doesn't mean it isn't fermenting.

I would wait around 2 weeks at least before transferring to secondary. You want to give the yeast time to clean up after themselves before transferring. Are you using a secondary to cold crash or dry hop?
I'm using a secondary for a couple reasons (not sure if they're the right ones yet ha) First off is because the brewers best directions highly recommend moving to a secondary fermenter around 5-7 days "to have more clarity and overall better, purer flavor" I also called the brewshop i got everything from and the guy there said the same thing, he also mentioned something about producing off flavors if it's left in the primary too long.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:41 AM   #7
brettg20
Recipes 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewd004 View Post
I'm using a secondary for a couple reasons (not sure if they're the right ones yet ha) First off is because the brewers best directions highly recommend moving to a secondary fermenter around 5-7 days "to have more clarity and overall better, purer flavor" I also called the brewshop i got everything from and the guy there said the same thing, he also mentioned something about producing off flavors if it's left in the primary too long.
DO NOT MOVE TO A SECONDARY AFTER 5-7 DAYS!!!!!!!!!
Don't do this for 3 reasons:

1. Your beer most likely won't be done fermenting after 5-7 days. If you transfer too early you won't hit your final gravity.

2. To get rid of off flavors you need to leave it IN the primary for longer than 5-7 days rather than move it after this timeframe. Leave it in for 2 weeks at least.

3. Repeat reasons 1 and 2 about 10 more times haha. I'm sure there are other reasons but seriously leave it in the primary for 2 weeks. You will learn a lot as you go but use 2 weeks as a standard for primary fermentation.

Old 01-30-2013, 01:57 AM   #8
Drewd004
Recipes 

I really appreciate all the feedback. So i'm definitely NOT going to take a gravity reading for probably another week and a half. When 2 weeks hits, it sounds like if i'm within my desired FG i should bottle. If im not within my FG at this time, is it beneficial to secondary ferment then? Thanks again

Old 01-30-2013, 02:02 AM   #9
brettg20
Recipes 

The only reasons really to use a secondary is to dry hop, cold crash (for clarity) or lagering. Once you move it to a secondary it won't really ferment anymore because you are removing the beer from the yeast that have dropped in suspension.

Just wait two weeks and you should be close to your FG.

Old 01-30-2013, 02:48 AM   #10
eastoak
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 152 Times on 143 Posts
Likes Given: 86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewd004 View Post
pure bunk. if i had a penny for all of the times i've heard "the guy at the brewshop said....."