Chicago Newb Seeks Advice - Page 2 - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Chicago Newb Seeks Advice

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 08:13 PM   #11
adman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Chicago, IL
Posts: 94
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Lethargic (or do you prefer Walrus?),

You need to be a brewing-level member, which currently includes Trial Members (during the trial period, obviously), Apprentices, and Brewers. There's no class fee (you need to buy the ingredients, a grain bag, and a fermenter/lid, though!), just the membership fee.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:14 PM   #12
adman
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 
 
Jan 2011
Chicago, IL
Posts: 94
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts


Also, as somebody else in the thread mentioned, homebrewers LOVE to talk shop. I doubt very much you'd be a burden to any homebrewer you talked to about getting started.

Hope you can make it to the class!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:38 PM   #13
mikescooling
Recipes 
 
Jan 2012
Chicago, IL
Posts: 1,988
Liked 266 Times on 201 Posts


You should have some kind of pot to boil 4gallons of water, that at least a 5 gallon pot and you need a ferementer. Stop by a LHBS and buy a brewers best ingredients kit (any ingredients kit). There now you can brew!!! Watch some youtube before you start and do what the kit tells you.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 08:49 PM   #14
Jon73
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
Oregon
Posts: 258
Liked 40 Times on 24 Posts


I paid $20 bucks for an all-grain class from a local brewer that I found out about from a friend. I was an extract brewer at the time and after watching him brew one ag batch of beer I saw just how easy the transition would be. Best $20 I have spent so far on homebrewing.

I would throw a word of caution out there, I saw an earlier post that said to read this forum a lot, well, I would apply what you read very judiciously, especially if you are just starting out. You might be better served by getting information from a lhbs store that you trust, or a homebrew club. Just because you read a well written post doesn't mean the guy knows what he's talking about. Myself included. This whole post could be bs.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 09:17 PM   #15
edb
Recipes 
 
Jan 2008
Chicago
Posts: 261
Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts


Check out CHAOS you will like it and its not too far from you. I was a member up till recently, only left because I'm in Jeff Park its a bit of a drive to get there and I only can make it there once in a while. That said the guys there are all great and have a wealth of knowledge.
__________________

Fermenter 1: Gumball head clone
Fermenter 2: Azacca Mosaic Promise-ish

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:07 PM   #16
thadius856
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
thadius856's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Dec 2012
Marysville
Posts: 2,273
Liked 725 Times on 262 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon73 View Post
I would throw a word of caution out there, I saw an earlier post that said to read this forum a lot, well, I would apply what you read very judiciously, especially if you are just starting out. You might be better served by getting information from a lhbs store that you trust, or a homebrew club. Just because you read a well written post doesn't mean the guy knows what he's talking about. Myself included. This whole post could be bs.
Probably on the right track, but I've been given all sorts of odd information from LHBS members. They also have a good reason to upsell you equipment you don't need.

There's some very good books out there. I'd recommend those over LHBS owners.
__________________
Was this post helpful? Don't forget to click 'Like'!

Thadius Miller, Project Manager -> RaspberryPints

Before you build a keezer, look at this!
Chest Freezer Spec Sheets and Layout Drawings (15 models and counting)

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 11:59 PM   #17
Jon73
Recipes 
 
Feb 2010
Oregon
Posts: 258
Liked 40 Times on 24 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by thadius856 View Post
Probably on the right track, but I've been given all sorts of odd information from LHBS members. They also have a good reason to upsell you equipment you don't need.

There's some very good books out there. I'd recommend those over LHBS owners.
Not to sound like an a-hole, but I guess I should have over-emphasized the word "trust" in my reference to LHBS's. The store here is run by a very solid guy and I trust his word. He has, on a couple occasions, told me not to buy a particular product because it didn't suit what I needed.

Not to start a huge debate, but I have The Complete Joy and The Homebrewers Bible, and neither one are a substitute for talking to somebody that has actually done it. The one thing I find completely infuriating about brew books is the recipes. Usually half the damn book is filled with them instead of going into more detail on the process' themselves. In the Bible you get about a paragraph on mash thickness and about 100 pages of recipes. Hard to justify the money.

My .02

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2013, 12:06 AM   #18
duboman
Recipes 
 
Jul 2011
Glenview, IL
Posts: 6,368
Liked 508 Times on 470 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon73

Not to sound like an a-hole, but I guess I should have over-emphasized the word "trust" in my reference to LHBS's. The store here is run by a very solid guy and I trust his word. He has, on a couple occasions, told me not to buy a particular product because it didn't suit what I needed.

Not to start a huge debate, but I have The Complete Joy and The Homebrewers Bible, and neither one are a substitute for talking to somebody that has actually done it. The one thing I find completely infuriating about brew books is the recipes. Usually half the damn book is filled with them instead of going into more detail on the process' themselves. In the Bible you get about a paragraph on mash thickness and about 100 pages of recipes. Hard to justify the money.

My .02
One important note to all this and also not trying to start anything:

In this hobby there really is no right or wrong, you can talk to 100 brewers from home to commercial and get 100 opinions on the what is thought to be the best way to do something.

The fact is that one thing may work for you and your process and something come rely different will work better for someone else.

It is up to you as the brewer to take in the information and apply it to what you do and how it may or may not work for you.

I am friends with many brewers both home and pro and we all make great beer but really none of us goes about any of it in the same way. Yes there are some consistencies but no two of us are the same
__________________
Nothing Left to do but smile and drink beer.....

The Commune Brewing Company-Perfecting the "art" of beer since 2010

Jon73 Likes This 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Beginner brewer seeks advice fraulein Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 01-21-2013 07:41 PM
Beer Know-Nothing Seeks Advice justvisiting Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 30 12-06-2010 03:22 AM
new member seeks advice on hops harvesting Yabo72 Hops Growing 1 08-01-2010 06:08 AM
newbie seeks advice JamesJ General Techniques 9 06-28-2008 04:57 AM
Newb seeks advice. DarthRader Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 2 07-29-2005 07:57 AM


Forum Jump