Keg Connection New Inline Flow Control Valve Giveaway

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > Where does my beer fit in?
Old 01-29-2013, 07:56 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default Where does my beer fit in?

So I brewed up a simple IPA couple of weeks ago.
Having never used any New Zealand hop varieties before, I wanted to keep the recipe simple to let the hop characters come through.
12# Pale Ale malt 12
.75# Vienna
.5# Carmel 60
1 oz. Northern Brewer @ 60
Several late and dry hop additions of Nelson Sauvin and Motueka
I have decided to enter this in an upcoming BJCP sanctioned competition and Id like to get some opinions as to which category this should be entered under.
This being my first BJCP completion, I really have no idea what deductions I am looking at if my beers deviate from the category guidelines.
I am thinking that category 14B America IPA really does not fit because of the New Zealand hop varieties I used.
The 10C Imperial IPA category might have worked except than my ABV at around 6%ish is really below the imperial threshold.
Am I just better off submitting this one as a category 23 Specialty Beer?

Old 01-29-2013, 08:01 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 15 reviews
Liked 242 Times on 173 Posts
Likes Given: 649

Yeah 23 is probably best, it won't hit the notes of an American IPA, I have made a IIPA with all Nelson, and it was amazing, but its not a competition beer because it won't hit the american flavors judges look for.
2 Punks Brewery