Florida Hops experiment - Page 6 - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Hops Growing > Florida Hops experiment

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 06-05-2013, 02:17 AM   #51
beaksnbeer
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
beaksnbeer's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2011
New Port Richey, Florida
Posts: 2,844
Liked 505 Times on 334 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Phordee View Post
I'm glad to see I'm not the only one crazy enough to grow hops in Florida

I live in the Tampa Bay area and just started growing these about 5 weeks ago:
(Cascade, Chinook, Golden, Nugget)
http://imgur.com/a/e3CR4

My main obstacle so far is dealing with pests. My plants are constantly under attack from beetles, mites, aphids, grasshoppers etc... I've been using a combination of neem oil and rosemary to keep them at bay but nothing seems to work. I'll be trying tobacco juice next.

Good luck and happy growing!
1/4 cup dish soap (dawn)
2-3 Tbsp lemon juice
12oz beer
1 gallon water

mix let the bubble die down put into a spray bottle spray the vine, aphids, scale, etc. will disappear with the heavy rains you may need to spray more often.

P.S. watch you containers lost mine last year when Debbie dumped rain on us for over a week roots don't like to be that wet.
__________________
Quote:
Home of the 12 Tap keezer

Phordee Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 11:53 AM   #52
dunz
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Florida, Tampa
Posts: 29
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Ddubduder View Post
Very nice Dunz, what poles did you use to string up your twine? I didn't even think about putting something attached to my fence. Very simple and effective, well done.
Thank you. I used 3/4" EMT, from the electrical aisle, with 1/2" EMT inside so that I can telescope them up and down as needed. Then painted everything green so they didn't stick out too bad.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 03:24 PM   #53
Ddubduder
Recipes 
 
Nov 2012
Land O Lakes, FL
Posts: 232
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by beaksnbeer

1/4 cup dish soap (dawn)
2-3 Tbsp lemon juice
12oz beer
1 gallon water

mix let the bubble die down put into a spray bottle spray the vine, aphids, scale, etc. will disappear with the heavy rains you may need to spray more often.

P.S. watch you containers lost mine last year when Debbie dumped rain on us for over a week roots don't like to be that wet.
Thanks beaksnbeer, I'll have to give this a try.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 03:20 AM   #54
benzy4010
Recipes 
 
Oct 2011
Posts: 1,136
Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts


Du z what is your trellis system made of? Looks like a design I'm trying to go with

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 12:43 PM   #55
Ddubduder
Recipes 
 
Nov 2012
Land O Lakes, FL
Posts: 232
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by benzy4010
Du z what is your trellis system made of? Looks like a design I'm trying to go with
He said it one post earlier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunz
Thank you. I used 3/4" EMT, from the electrical aisle, with 1/2" EMT inside so that I can telescope them up and down as needed. Then painted everything green so they didn't stick out too bad.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 04:18 AM   #56
dunz
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Florida, Tampa
Posts: 29
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


Tampa area gardeners, Ddubduder and others, are you getting any cones yet? Here are a couple pics from my garden.


 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 05:58 AM   #57
PerfectD3
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
Orlando, Florida
Posts: 46
Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts


Are any of you worried about lightning strikes on the tall poles being used?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2013, 09:13 PM   #58
Ddubduder
Recipes 
 
Nov 2012
Land O Lakes, FL
Posts: 232
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by PerfectD3
Are any of you worried about lightning strikes on the tall poles being used?
It's always a possibility, but I view it as a risk of growing hops in general. You can't really get away from tall poles with these things. I just won't be going outside to check on them in the rain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunz
Tampa area gardeners, Ddubduder and others, are you getting any cones yet? Here are a couple pics from my garden.
That's too funny, I actually took pictures this morning of mine planning on posting them later today. My centennial though the smallest of the three is the only one with full cones. The galena is throwing mad spurs and the Willamette is finally taking off again.


Click image for larger version

Name:	image-930580681.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	129678



Click image for larger version

Name:	image-637810482.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	50.3 KB
ID:	129679

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 01:50 AM   #59
dunz
Recipes 
 
Jan 2010
Florida, Tampa
Posts: 29
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts


How are the Tampa area hop growers plants doing with all this rain? I got a harvest in this weekend, after dodging the rain and hope to get another one later this year from the same plants that still had a lot of new burs.

I posted some pics in another thread:http://www.homebrewtalk.com/f92/sout...ml#post5353604

 
Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2013, 03:37 AM   #60
Ddubduder
Recipes 
 
Nov 2012
Land O Lakes, FL
Posts: 232
Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts


My Galina is ready to harvest this weekend and I might get my Willamette too but it may need another week or two. My centennial probably won't have more than a hand full of cones.

 
Reply With Quote


Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Yes, You can grow hops in Florida. kypher Hops Growing 3 01-06-2013 02:02 PM
Florida first year hops Thejiro Hops Growing 33 05-17-2012 08:53 PM
Florida hops growing ( a log ) wilfonzo Hops Growing 13 04-19-2012 01:22 AM
2012 Florida Hops blefferd Hops Growing 0 04-16-2012 12:35 AM
Growing Hops in Florida? Frilock Hops Growing 2 05-20-2008 04:26 PM


Forum Jump