Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Community > General Chit Chat > Honda Civic - Engine Block

Old 01-29-2013, 03:15 PM   #1
Darwin18
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 886 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 501

Default Honda Civic - Engine Block

This is more of a heads up as this happened to me this past Christmas.

I own a 2006 Honda Civic EX with 75,000 miles on it. It has run well for me and aside from replacing tires and routine maintenance, I have not had any problems with it. We drove my car from North Carolina to New York and Massachusetts to visit my family and my wife's family. The weather in NC was fairly mild but in NY and MA it was pretty cold.

We were making the return trip and were in Maryland when I noticed the temperature gauge was all the way to High. I pulled over to a service station thinking that I had a coolant line leak. The mechanic pressure tested the lines and we discovered the leak from coming from a crack in the engine block. It was easily visible when under pressure. It took several hours, multiple stops, and about 3 gallons of anti-freeze to make it back to NC. I pulled into the driveway at midnight with smoke and burnt antifreeze pouring out from under my car.

It was a miserable ride as I was trying to contemplate how I was going to come up with the cash to purchase a new vehicle. I hadn't been planning on it since my Honda had less than 75,000 miles on it. After talking to a friend who was a former Honda salesman, I learned that Honda has a recall in place for the engine blocks of the 2006 models (and a couple years before and after). I dropped my vehicle off at the nearest Honda dealership and they replaced the entire engine at their cost. I hadn't heard of this before but I am certainly not the first person this has happened to so I thought I would pass the information along. And before anyone bashes me for owning a Honda Civic - when I was 21 years old and fresh out of college, my options were very limited to what I could afford.

Quadrupled Likes This 
Old 01-29-2013, 03:23 PM   #2
SharonaZamboni
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 1589 Times on 1437 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Nothing wrong with owning a Civic. Glad you talked to your friend-that would have been an expensive problem!

Oh, so you're just gonna sit there drinkin beer from your keg, sh!ttin in the kitchen sink, and watching him work -Xaphoeous

I McDrunko and this beer is Amazing!- McBrewskie

Old 01-29-2013, 03:31 PM   #3
Darwin18
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 886 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 501

I was a little apprehensive bringing it to Honda and had printed out all the documentation I could find on the known engine block issues. The maintenance supervisor just heard coolant leak from the cracked engine block and knew immediately about the recall. They even had replacement engines in stock ready to go - I had my car back in three days. Not bad mouthing Honda in any way; they owned up to an engineering flaw and made it right with me. Now this car will never die - which is semi-unfortunate because I'm thinking that I don't want to be my 30's and driving a Honda Civic.
Quadrupled Likes This 
Old 01-29-2013, 03:36 PM   #4
m_c_zero
Recipes 

Liked 148 Times on 110 Posts
Likes Given: 240

I used to own a 2006 Honda Civic EX that had a hairline fracture in the engine block that allowed coolant to mix with the oil. Same thing, the dealer replaced the engine block at their cost, but it never ran the same after that. I sold it shortly after and was glad to be rid of it. It was a nice car prior to that though...

Old 01-29-2013, 03:44 PM   #5
kh54s10
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 973 Times on 817 Posts
Likes Given: 248

Absolutely nothing wrong with driving a Civic. Other than the engine block recall, which I also have not heard about, they are very good cars.

Old 01-29-2013, 03:56 PM   #6
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3634 Times on 2472 Posts
Likes Given: 2429

I'm an American Car kind of guy (worked in the Auto Industry for many years and generally prefer the American designs, but that's all changing the past 10 years or so), but I would not be averse to driving a Civic. Supposedly great little cars.

It's always a GREAT idea to check for recalls before having work done. A friend had an ABS light on for a while and I asked why he didn't get it fixed and he said it was going to be XXX hundreds he thought. WE looked it up and there was a recall on those cars due to road salt getting in the sensors. Next week his Dodge Van had no ABS light and it was free!

There are a LOT of recalls on record, but many times you have to look them up.

http://www.recalls.gov/nhtsa.html

Old 01-29-2013, 04:09 PM   #7
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 277 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 1252

Wow that's nuts. Glad they took care of you for it.

No shame in owning a Civic!

I'm 34 years old and my wife and I have 2 Honda civics in our stable, a 92 and a 2000 as our daily beater cars. These cars are super reliable (one has 171K miles, the other 226K), get 40 mpg on the highway (My record was 46.5mpg on a trip!), are easy and cheap to maintain and dirt cheap to insure and because of their age and mileage we pay no personal property tax on them. Also by having older cars on our auto insurance we are actually saving money on our total insurance bill by listing the Civics as "commute" vehicles.

I would never be without a Civic!
Keg #1: White Mosaic Pale Ale
Keg #2: Empty
Drinking: Amber Ale, White Mosaic Pale Ale

Old 01-29-2013, 04:29 PM   #8
ScotBrew
Recipes 

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 26

I had a 2003 EP3/Type R, couldn't help but giving it some vtec every day of owning it. Wallet didn't like it though, esp with the gas prices I had to put up with back in Scotland!

Old 01-29-2013, 06:42 PM   #9
landshark
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 80 Posts
Likes Given: 28

When I turned 22 and was graduating from college I bought a brand new 2008 4x4 Dodge 2500 Cummins Diesel. That was probably not the best decision financially. But damn I loved that truck. Until it needed to go into the shop every month and diesel prices skyrocketed. I traded it at 78,000 miles for a 535xi.

I know a few people with newer Hondas I've worked with, seems all of them have given the owners some bad headaches. It's nice a manufacturer today actually stood behind something. I know Dodge sure didn't with that 2500 I had. Will never own another and recommend nobody else own one either.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing_Gnome_Invisible View Post
OK, So I searched "Betty White nude" ...........At the top of the results, instead of 'Did you mean......" it asked "Are you f#cking serious?....."

Old 01-29-2013, 07:19 PM   #10
Jayhem
Recipes 

Liked 277 Times on 224 Posts
Likes Given: 1252

Quote:
Originally Posted by landshark View Post
When I turned 22 and was graduating from college I bought a brand new 2008 4x4 Dodge 2500 Cummins Diesel. That was probably not the best decision financially. But damn I loved that truck. Until it needed to go into the shop every month and diesel prices skyrocketed. I traded it at 78,000 miles for a 535xi.

I know a few people with newer Hondas I've worked with, seems all of them have given the owners some bad headaches. It's nice a manufacturer today actually stood behind something. I know Dodge sure didn't with that 2500 I had. Will never own another and recommend nobody else own one either.
I would love to have a diesel pickup one day but only as a 3rd vehicle to haul stuff and pull a trailer for cutting firewood and tow the motorcycles. What I don't understand is people who buy diesel pickups just to commute in or run around town and never use for what they were designed for. With the price of fuel and maintenance I just don't understand that. I feel it must be an ego thing "I must drive a massive vehicle or I'm not a real man!" If you can afford a $50,000 pickup you can afford a $2,000 beater car to save you $3,000 a year in fuel for daily driving.

Keg #1: White Mosaic Pale Ale
Keg #2: Empty
Drinking: Amber Ale, White Mosaic Pale Ale