When to Transfer to Secondary? - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Winemaking Forum > When to Transfer to Secondary?

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-29-2013, 12:13 AM   #1
Treyceff
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Posts: 2


I have a wine kit brewing that I started last Tuesday. It had a starting gravity of 1.076 (which I felt is a little low for a red, but meh, this wont be an ageing wine). I have it in a loose fitting bucket, and am checking the gravity daily. the kit states to wait 14 days, however my gravity reading is giving me 0.995, which is the stated finished gravity for this wine.

Basically I'm wondering:

A) Do I leave it another week, following the kits instructions?
B) Rack it to a glass carboy and airlock it, wait out the 14 days, then followe the instructions?
c) Rack to a glass carboy, follow the stabilizing steps etc that are in the instructions as if this was day 14?

I am worried about leaving a nearly finished fermenting wine the chance to oxidize by leaving it in the loose fitted fermentor. What are your thoughts?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 12:35 AM   #2
novalou
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
Posts: 600
Liked 36 Times on 35 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Treyceff
I have a wine kit brewing that I started last Tuesday. It had a starting gravity of 1.076 (which I felt is a little low for a red, but meh, this wont be an ageing wine). I have it in a loose fitting bucket, and am checking the gravity daily. the kit states to wait 14 days, however my gravity reading is giving me 0.995, which is the stated finished gravity for this wine.

Basically I'm wondering:

A) Do I leave it another week, following the kits instructions?
B) Rack it to a glass carboy and airlock it, wait out the 14 days, then followe the instructions?
c) Rack to a glass carboy, follow the stabilizing steps etc that are in the instructions as if this was day 14?

I am worried about leaving a nearly finished fermenting wine the chance to oxidize by leaving it in the loose fitted fermentor. What are your thoughts?
Go ahead and transfer to your carboy and leave for 14 days. There is probably a small amount of sugar left, that will give the yeast time to finish up.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2013, 01:08 AM   #3
Treyceff
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Saskatoon, Saskatchewan
Posts: 2

Alright, thanks for the help!

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Transfer to Secondary? hophead81 Fermentation & Yeast 10 08-20-2010 07:42 PM
transfer to secondary Husemoller21 Fermentation & Yeast 1 02-12-2010 02:28 PM
? about my transfer to secondary 1st ever WayneTree Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 3 02-18-2009 02:33 PM
transfer to secondary FEARDIZ Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 6 10-22-2007 09:17 PM
Transfer to secondary BlendieOfIndie Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 8 09-30-2007 01:50 AM


Forum Jump