Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Too much roasted barley!

Old 01-28-2013, 08:16 PM   #1
Boo-urns
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Too much roasted barley!

I attempted to convert one of my extract recipes to all grain. In the extract recipe I used 1# of roasted barley, .25# black patent. (I used a bottle to crush them) For the all grain version I used 1# roasted barley, 1# midnight wheat no black patent. Is there anyway to smooth out this beer? It has what I think an astringent taste up front.

The extract batch came out perfect for me granted it could be because I didn't use a mill.

Any suggestions? The batch is currently being dry hopped.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:31 PM   #2
BigFloyd
Recipes 

Liked 724 Times on 630 Posts
Likes Given: 630

I hate to admit it, but "been there, done that". I had to find out the hard way about being extra careful using dark roasted steeping grains. Too much = burnt flavor that dominates all other flavors.

I tasted mine before bottling, thought about it a minute, and tossed the batch. Lesson learned.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:33 PM   #3
CTownBrewer
Recipes 

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

At this point, it will be tough to correct. I'm assuming you want to find a way to add sweetness to this to balance out the astringency from the roasted malt.

I can think of 3 options...

1) Sit on it for a few more weeks & sample again. It could just have the astringency of "green" beer...possibly a combination of the roasted malt & hop bitterness. After it conditions for a little longer, the flavors may blend together better & you'll have less hops left in suspension.

2) Make another beer & blend the two (a milk stout would be a good way to sweeten it up)

3) Add some vanilla beans & let it sit for a couple weeks on it

What style of beer is this? If it's a Black IPA, the vanilla addition would probably make it worse.
Secondary 1
: Port BA American Sour w/Raspberries
Secondary 2: Baltic Porter
Now On Tap: New Zealand IPA, Belgian Dark Strong w/Anise & Cinnamon, Imperial Red Ale
Upcoming Brews: Port BA American Sour w/Cherries, Doppelbock, Belgian Golden Strong, Peanut Butter Imperial Porter

Old 01-28-2013, 08:33 PM   #4
Boo-urns
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

So you're saying that time might not heal this batch? At least I saved the yeast.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:36 PM   #5
Boo-urns
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

It is a black IPA, I haven't tasted anything similar before. Good idea with the milk stout and blending.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:36 PM   #6
CTownBrewer
Recipes 

What's the total grain bill?

A few general rules of thumb I live by...
- Only use up to 15% specialty malts in a batch
- If using roasted malt, use no more than 10% in a batch

Since I've never used Midnight Wheat, I have no idea how harsh that roasted wheat flavor will come through...do you know the Lovibond color on that?
Secondary 1
Now On Tap: New Zealand IPA, Belgian Dark Strong w/Anise & Cinnamon, Imperial Red Ale
Upcoming Brews: Port BA American Sour w/Cherries, Doppelbock, Belgian Golden Strong, Peanut Butter Imperial Porter

Old 01-28-2013, 08:40 PM   #7
Boo-urns
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

11# 2-row
1# Munich (had some laying around didn't want to run and get 1# 2-row)
1# Midnight Wheat (550 lovibond)
1# Roasted Barley
.75# Caramel 60L
.25# Carapils

Old 01-28-2013, 08:42 PM   #8
Boo-urns
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

It is the first time using midnight wheat but the description is:

Smooth, with no bitter, astringent, dry flavors or aftertaste. Starts slightly sweet. Mild roasted/chocolate/coffee flavors and aroma. Finishes exceptionally clean.

Old 01-28-2013, 08:47 PM   #9
CTownBrewer
Recipes 

That's 13.3% roasted malts, which really isn't too overboard. I would wait a few weeks & taste it again. You may just have a young beer that hasn't had a chance for the flavors to meld together.

If it's still to astringent, you could consider blending a milk stout with about 7% roasted malt & end up in decent shape. It won't necessarily be a Black IPA though...probably more along the lines of a hoppy stout.

I read Mitch Steele's book on hops/IPAs. With Black IPAs, you really don't want to use any roasted barley/wheat/chocolate/black patent. Stick to dehusked Caraffa. It will give you the color without imparting any roasty/astringent flavor. That way, the hops will stand out & pop more.
Secondary 1

Old 01-28-2013, 08:48 PM   #10
DocScott
Recipes 

Liked 116 Times on 90 Posts

That's a lot of roasted malts! I think your best bet is to blend it with a malty or sweet beer or choke it down and move on. Time won't dissipate the flavors enough to make it that much better.