At the risk of derailing the original recipe thread, here's an update:
Here's what I ended up brewing. I ended up kind of going middle of the road on it:
partial mash, 4.8 gallon batch into the fermenter:
3lbs Briess Pilsen DME (Late addition)
3lbs Best Malz Munich (~6.5L)
8oz Dingemans Caramunich (~45L)
6oz Weyermann Melanoidin (~23.5L)
2oz Briess Midnight Wheat (550L)
.5oz Warrior hops @ 60 min (16%AA)
US-05 Slurry pitched and fermented @~60 degrees for 14 days. I cold conditioned for about 2.5 weeks in my new fridge, ~40deg F
Bottled it 10 days ago and popped one open today:
Really happy with how this turned out, it was pretty much exactly what I expected given that I've never had a true alt. It's definitely balanced bitter but with a lot of maltiness. I definitely see how people can go either way on these beers (all munich/lots of caramunich, vs lots of pilsner, little or no caramel malts).
It'll be interesting to see if the flavor changes in the next few weeks, but my first impressions are that next time I brew it i'll lean in the "thinner" direction. Getting it up to a full 5.5gal batch with a little more DME would probably strike a nice balance, maybe mash it lower and try to get the FG a little lower, etc.
Anyway, thanks again for the help earlier, figured you'd like to know how this turned out