Dextrose substitute

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chefjp

Reaction score
hello, Im planning on brewing an DIPA, the recipe calls for dextrose to dry out the the beer, I cant find dextrose, can i use table sugar intead?

Thanks

Dextrose is just plain old corn sugar but yes you can use table sugar as well, they are both simple sugars that impart no flavor but raise ABV and add dryness to the beer.

I'm new but used honey and a small bit of brown sugar on my second batch instead, seems to taste good just bottled yesterday so hope it will improve over the next 2 months. Primed with Demerara sugar too and done with carb drops so will get a taste of what works best.

you can use sucrose with no discernible difference. theoretically there is a 5% difference, so use 95% as much sucrose as dextrose to be precise.

the granules in table sugar tend towards large compared with corn sugar tending towards very fine, so be sure when you add sugar the kettle it is dissolving fully and not sticking and burning on the bottom.

Dextrose = a form of glucose, aka d-glucose or corn sugar.
Sucrose = a combo of glucose and fructose, aka table sugar.

The primary difference is between these sugars have to do with the way they are metabolized. Of the two, dextrose is said to be slightly more easily metabolized by yeast. In either case, when brewing beer, you want the yeast to go after the maltose and maltriose first and foremost. To accomplish this when using simple sugars as a portion of your fermentables, 1- limit the amount of simple sugars used in brewing, and 2- (optional) pitch your sanitized/cooled simple syrup at high krausen, when the yeast are in full effect of actively munching on the malt sugars. As always, fermentation temperature and yeast health/cell count are of the utmost importance.

I like demerara sugar in bitters & other darker beers. It adds to the complexity a bit with it's light brown sugar laced with honey sort of flavor. But for priming it won't add too much to the complexity. Just a wee bit. Better when added in recipe amounts. But does seem to prime well.

Back