Coldbreak Brewing HERMS Giveaway!

HomeBrewSupply AMCYL Brew Kettle Giveaway!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Fermentation & Yeast > Need some advice!

Old 01-28-2013, 02:22 PM   #1
Rooster27
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Default Need some advice!

Hello fellow brewers,
i have been brewing on and off since i was 19 i am now 27, and have recently really got back into brewing. last week i was shooting for a pale ale i was calling it a Chinook pale ale but turned out to be a dark amber ale which is fine figured i would roll with the punches. i just took a hydro reading this morning and it was at 1.022 i know it's pretty early to bottle because i usually rack into a secondary and let it sit in the carboy for at least 3-5 weeks. my question or advice i am looking for is what can add to the secondary to calm the hop flavor down. my recipe is as follows.

5 Gal Batch Partial boil
3.3 lbs LEM lightly hopped
2 lbs DEM Pale
2 lbs 2 row crushed crystal malt steeped for 25 min
1 lb corn sugar
2 oz Chinook hops full boil

I was thinking possibly some lightly toasted oak wood chips to give it a more mellow smooth taste instead of the hard bite of the hops, its not bad but just a little something to take the edge off.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:59 PM   #2
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png

Recipes 

Liked 3481 Times on 2377 Posts
Likes Given: 2269

I think the hops will mellow out with age. A few weeks might bring it down enough to suit you. The flavor tends to change over the first few weeks too, which might help it taste a bit better. I don't know a real good way to just trim a bit of bitterness off.

Wow. 2 lbs. of Crystal? That might be part of the color problem. How sweet is it? I usually do about 1/2 ounce for an average pale.

I don't think the oak would necessarily help the bitterness, but it might make a nice addition anyway.

Old 02-07-2013, 07:38 PM   #3
Rooster27
Recipes 

yeah actually not to sweet, that's why i had put the Chinook hops in there to balance it out, i just racked it into my car boy in Tuesday and gave her another little taste and it seems to have calmed down a little bit. i also added some oak chips in there, it should be starting to clear up a bit and will be ready to bottle in a few weeks, figured i would wait a little bit to bottle to see if i can calm that hoppiness down