Rack Too Soon - Home Brew Forums
Register Now For Free!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Rack Too Soon

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 01-28-2013, 02:38 AM   #1
Bonas96
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Avon, Indiana
Posts: 34
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts



Brewing my first batch. I think I fell into the over anxious new brewer trap. Brewing from a LME kit...OG was 1.034 and FG is supposed to be 1.010-1.014, but it was only 1.020 when I racked after 9 days. Am I hosed, or will it be OK and just a learning experience?

Thanks all!!

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:42 AM   #2
chumpsteak
 
chumpsteak's Avatar
Recipes 
 
May 2011
Meridian, ID
Posts: 852
Liked 96 Times on 79 Posts


Not necessarilly hosed buy you may have stopped fermentation if it was still going. Still with extract it may have actually been done at 1.020. Either way that is a really low ABV beer. At this point give it another week or two until it seems like it is clearing pretty well and then check the gravity. If it stays the same 3 days in a row then you can bottle it. Don't rush that or you could get bombs and then you will really be hosed.
__________________
Well lucky you, the devil made you look....

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 02:47 AM   #3
DonutMuncher
Recipes 
 
May 2010
Las Cruces, NM
Posts: 171
Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts


Did you already bottle the beers, or did you just rack to a secondary fermenter? If you bottled already, there's a chance the fermentation was not complete and you could risk having bottle bombs.

If you just took it to a secondary, some fermentation can continue there and you should be fine.

There is always the chance fermentation was complete too. Sometimes extract beers get stuck around 1.02 FG

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 03:00 AM   #4
Bonas96
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Avon, Indiana
Posts: 34
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by DonutMuncher View Post
Did you already bottle the beers, or did you just rack to a secondary fermenter? If you bottled already, there's a chance the fermentation was not complete and you could risk having bottle bombs.

If you just took it to a secondary, some fermentation can continue there and you should be fine.

There is always the chance fermentation was complete too. Sometimes extract beers get stuck around 1.02 FG

It is in a secondary, not bottled yet. Assuming it is "stuck" anything that can be done in future with extract beers to promote better fermenting?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:49 AM   #5
C-Rider
Senior Member
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
C-Rider's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Wai, Hawaii
Posts: 3,480
Liked 311 Times on 256 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonas96 View Post
It is in a secondary, not bottled yet. Assuming it is "stuck" anything that can be done in future with extract beers to promote better fermenting?
Wait for 3 days of the same SG reading. Wait 3 weeks before testing. No need rush, just start another batch and get that pipeline full. :-)
__________________
Kaiser Ridge Brewing
-------------------------
Bottled in the refer: Malahini Pale Ale
Bottled in the refe: Black IPA
Bottled in the refe: Old Glory Stout
Bottled in the refe: American Imperial Stout
Bottled in the refer: Dunkelweizen
Bottled in the refer Oktoberfest

.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:32 PM   #6
Bonas96
Recipes 
 
Jan 2013
Avon, Indiana
Posts: 34
Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by DonutMuncher View Post
There is always the chance fermentation was complete too. Sometimes extract beers get stuck around 1.02 FG
This may be a dumb question, but is there any way to "restart" fermentation? Can you pitch more yeast, even after moving to a secondary, or should I just chalk this light ABV round up to experience?

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 05:46 PM   #7
sweed
Recipes 
 
Jun 2012
Salem, NH
Posts: 961
Liked 112 Times on 94 Posts


Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonas96 View Post
This may be a dumb question, but is there any way to "restart" fermentation? Can you pitch more yeast, even after moving to a secondary, or should I just chalk this light ABV round up to experience?
If you warm up the area the fermenter/ secondary is in, it could kick off some fermentation. Also, you could boil up 1 lb of dme/ lme and add it to the secondary and it'll increase the OG, and ferment that out. That may help the FG drop.

 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2013, 06:01 PM   #8
unionrdr
Heavyweight homebrewing author & air gun shooter
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
 
unionrdr's Avatar
Recipes 
 
Feb 2011
Sheffield, Ohio
Posts: 38,988
Liked 3707 Times on 3179 Posts


Well,if the beer was still cloudy when you racked it,you may have enough yeast left to get it to finish. Make sure the yeast is swirled up into solution & warm up the fermenter. Even an old coat wrapped around it can help warm it a couple degrees.
__________________
NEW books on amazon/Kindle! Check it out now...
Home Brewing- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00PBAP6JO
Distopian Sci-Fi- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NTA0L6G
New! John Henry- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GBV3UXU

 
Reply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Secondary Fermentation - To Rack or Not to Rack ryankf All Grain & Partial Mash Brewing 155 01-21-2016 08:45 PM
John Bull Cider Kit...to rack over or not to rack over? louisbrewg Cider Forum 4 11-18-2012 08:22 PM
Kolsch Lagering, to rack or not to rack? Marathon06 Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 6 01-20-2012 02:28 AM
Bohemian Pilsner - to rack or not to rack Barkingshins Fermentation & Yeast 7 09-27-2011 10:01 PM
Fermenting in bottling bucket... To rack or not to rack? FoundlingOfDollar Beginners Beer Brewing Forum 11 11-05-2010 08:29 PM


Forum Jump