Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Winners Drawn!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > Splitting partial boil batch into 2 primaries?

Old 01-28-2013, 12:40 AM   #1
brevity
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Splitting partial boil batch into 2 primaries?

When it reaches spring/summer temps I'll be forced to use some kind of temperature control for fermenting. I'd like to continue brewing 5 gallon batches but the mini fridge I have as a fermentation chamber will only fit two 3 gallon better bottles due to their square footprint. Would i have any problems splitting a 5 gallon partial boil batch into two of these? So basically rack an equal amount of wort into each, top off with an equal amount of water, pitch yeast 50/50 between the two, ferment and then combine both when it comes time to bottle/keg?

I don't see any problems with this but maybe I'm missing something.

Thanks!

Old 01-28-2013, 12:49 AM   #2
IffyG
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 20

You could do that, but I think I'd put the entire volume into a bucket or larger carboy to ensure equal mixing of what was boiled and then rack that into two better bottles.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:50 AM   #3
Shaneoco1981
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I see nothing wrong with that either. A lot of people actually split batches, especially if they are doing something like a fruit beer.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:52 AM   #4
brevity
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IffyG View Post
You could do that, but I think I'd put the entire volume into a bucket or larger carboy to ensure equal mixing of what was boiled and then rack that into two better bottles.
Yeah I could see the point in doing that. But am I wrong to think that if there was unequal mixing, and one bottle had a higher strength, it would be taken care of when I blend the two on bottling day?

Old 01-28-2013, 02:42 AM   #5
IffyG
Feedback Score: 1 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 60 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 20

If you aren't concerned about never being able to replicate a batch, you would be fine with your original method. Doing a half an half mix from the boil kettle would likely produce variation between the two fermentations. Might be trivial, but I like to minimize variables.