Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Techniques > Treatment of Roasted Grain: What's Your Preference?
View Poll Results: How do you prefer to treat your roasted grains?
Mash them with everything else, nothing special 39 86.67%
Cold steep them and add the liquor to boil kettle 1 2.22%
Add them to the mash 10-20 minutes before sparge 5 11.11%
Steep them in hot wort after sparge and before boil 0 0%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-31-2013, 05:59 PM   #21
Homercidal
Licensed Sensual Massage Therapist.
HBT_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Recipes 

Liked 3318 Times on 2269 Posts
Likes Given: 2087

I had always thrown it all in the mash and was surprised when I read about saving the roasted grains for the sparge or steeping in the BK as it's coming up to boil.

This might help keep the pH at the right level during the mash and the roasted grain doesn't need any conversion anyway.

Old 01-31-2013, 06:59 PM   #22
kingwood-kid
Recipes 

Liked 95 Times on 88 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I've seen cold-steeping for both grain and coffee as a way to reduce harshness, which I'm assuming is closely related to acidity. Adding at the end of the mash is often used to extract more color than flavor, although I had always thought that was what Sinamar, Carafa and Midnight Wheat were designed to do. I guess I differ from the previous posters in that I would rather weigh out 1 cent's worth of baking soda and mash everything together than deal with a separate steep or whatever. But having only tried the one method, I can't say that the others don't have their merits.

Old 02-01-2013, 12:52 AM   #23
Brulosopher
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 271 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 193

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingwood-kid
I've seen cold-steeping for both grain and coffee as a way to reduce harshness, which I'm assuming is closely related to acidity. Adding at the end of the mash is often used to extract more color than flavor, although I had always thought that was what Sinamar, Carafa and Midnight Wheat were designed to do. I guess I differ from the previous posters in that I would rather weigh out 1 cent's worth of baking soda and mash everything together than deal with a separate steep or whatever. But having only tried the one method, I can't say that the others don't have their merits.
So a little sodium bicarbonate will fix the harshness? How? Hmm, I may just try that out!