What to brew next? - Home Brew Forums

Register Now!
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > General Beer Discussion > What to brew next?

Old 01-27-2013, 11:32 PM   #1
dumsboa09
Recipes 

Apr 2012
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Been brewing at least once a month and now I'm at a loss for what to brew. Got a ryePA that I just bottled today and my pops wants me to brew him a wit beer. After that I'm looking for something new to brew. Any thoughts?

Old 01-28-2013, 01:41 AM   #2
jamesnsw

Recipes 

Mar 2009
, Indiana
Liked 10 Times on 4 Posts

What to Brew says that Scottish Ales are a good things to brew right now.

Other thoughts would be to find a beer you want to clone, or a favorite brew that you would brew 5 gallons of. Another suggestion would be to try to brew through all the BJCP styles. It's a long term goal, but that has helped me branch out.
Some stuff I've made: Odell's 90 Shilling Clone, Abbey Weiss Pottsville Common, Simple Mead, Dry Dock Apricot Blonde Clone, Rye IPA, Maibock, Scrapper's Quaffable Irish Red, Short Sleep Blueberry Ale, Lazy Magnolia Pecan Nut Brown Ale Clone, Graff, Apfelwein, Cascades Orange Pale, Orfy's Mild Ale, Vagabond Gingered Ale
What to Brew for iOS (free)

Old 01-28-2013, 02:09 AM   #3
whitehause
Recipes 

Oct 2011
Fleetwood, Pa
Liked 152 Times on 107 Posts

I always like doing something I can't get locally( which is a lot in PA) I'm gona try a Kreuzberg inspired Lager.
Maybe try a Kolsh....always a hit with the average beer drinker.

Primary 1- BM's Cream of three crops.
Primary 2- Paleface Scalper
Primary 3- Monks Reward (Kreuzberg)
Kegged - Honey Badger, Heady topper clone 1, Indian Paleface Scalper
Bottled- Skeptical Dog winter Lager, Hell's Belgian, Old Dutch Hiefer Hefe,Aphlewein, Chocolate Thunder porter, Jacked up lantern

Old 01-28-2013, 02:29 AM   #4
dumsboa09
Recipes 

Apr 2012
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitehause
I always like doing something I can't get locally( which is a lot in PA) I'm gona try a Kreuzberg inspired Lager.
Maybe try a Kolsh....always a hit with the average beer drinker.
Where at in PA are you located?

Old 01-28-2013, 04:36 AM   #5
JLem

Recipes 

Jan 2009
Attleboro, MA
Liked 178 Times on 154 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumsboa09 View Post
Been brewing at least once a month and now I'm at a loss for what to brew. Got a ryePA that I just bottled today and my pops wants me to brew him a wit beer. After that I'm looking for something new to brew. Any thoughts?
What have you brewed already?
What do you like to drink?

My Beer Cellar

Old 01-28-2013, 06:12 AM   #6
AgentHubcap
Recipes 

Dec 2011
Hillsboro, Oregon
Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

I just brewed up a Gluten-free Russian Imperial Stout. Next on my list is an IPA or hopped up red.

Old 01-28-2013, 01:17 PM   #7
dumsboa09
Recipes 

Apr 2012
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLem

What have you brewed already?
What do you like to drink?
I've made a wheat and several variations of an IPA because I love hops. Then brewed a porter which turned out terrible. Brewed a wee heavy that turned out great, I'm entering that into a local comp. war of the worts. Got ryePA in bottles as of yesterday that may go out to a comp too.

Old 01-28-2013, 02:37 PM   #8
cclloyd

Recipes 

Jan 2007
Largo, Florida
Liked 33 Times on 30 Posts

Try a style you haven't done or peruse the recipes and do a nice session ale - a mild or an ordinary bitter. Or make a recipe you are familiar with and use a different yeast. Your options are unlimited.

Old 01-29-2013, 01:20 AM   #9
whitehause
Recipes 

Oct 2011
Fleetwood, Pa
Liked 152 Times on 107 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by dumsboa09 View Post
Where at in PA are you located?
Fleetwood....1/2hour south west of Allentown.

Primary 1- BM's Cream of three crops.
Primary 2- Paleface Scalper
Primary 3- Monks Reward (Kreuzberg)
Kegged - Honey Badger, Heady topper clone 1, Indian Paleface Scalper
Bottled- Skeptical Dog winter Lager, Hell's Belgian, Old Dutch Hiefer Hefe,Aphlewein, Chocolate Thunder porter, Jacked up lantern