I decided to give this well discussed recipe (extract version) a try. I got everything prepared and planned for a Wednesday night brew.
Things didn't go so well when I started however. The recipe calls for a 30 minute steep of Crystal60, chocolate malt, and roasted barley. I got the water up to 155 and placed the bagged grains into the pot.
Unfortunately I let the temp get out of control, running it up to 165 for over 10 minutes. Perhaps that may not have ruined the batch, but I didn't want risk it with this recipe. So, I planned to brew again on Thursday night.
The grains produced a nice dark color. I started to add the DME, trying to keep it moving avoiding the clumps.
After adding the DME, I returned the wort to a boil and added .75oz German Magnum pellet hops. With about 10 minutes left on the boil, I added the lactose and Whirlfloc tablet.
After adding the yeast nutrient and cooling the wort to 80, I topped off the carboy to bring my volume to 5G. I pitched the yeast and moved the carboy to its home for the next three weeks.