Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Bottling/Kegging > Keg line balancing issue

Old 01-27-2013, 03:25 AM   #1
Jivetyrant
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Keg line balancing issue

So I kegged my Gratzer earlier this week and carbed to the recommended 3.6 volumes, which gives me a head pressure of about 24psi. I ordered a 3/16 polyethylene draft line that is 11' long, the manufacturer lists line resistance as 2.2psi/ft. I'm dispensing with a cobra tap that stays in the fridge. The equation I am using for calculating draft line length is as follows:

Length = keg pressure (24) -1 (apparently cobra taps create about 1psi of resistance) / line resistance (2.2 psi/ft). There is no elevation to take into account. So, the equation should be

Length = (24 - 1)/2.2 = 10.45.

I cut my line to 10.5', I am using a ball lock, 1/4" flared fitting and just crammed the line over it. The line is coiled up into a roughly 1' circle, and is sitting more of less on top of the keg.

All seems well on paper, but the beer shoots out of the draft line like a fire hydrant! Did I miss something? This will be the first time I've tried kegging a highly carbonated beer so I'm a bit lost. Does anyone else have experience with this?

Old 01-27-2013, 04:03 AM   #2
schematix
HBT_SUPPORTER.png
Recipes 

Liked 123 Times on 79 Posts
Likes Given: 43

i haven't had much luck calculating tube lengths. i serve my wit bier with a 20' beer line and it's just barely enough. there are some threads around about using an epoxy stirrer in the dip tube for additional restriction. that may be worth a look.

Old 01-27-2013, 04:16 AM   #3
JuanMoore
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 3359 Times on 3245 Posts
Likes Given: 20

All of those balancing equations/calculators are only applicable when serving beer very cold and close to the carb level of commercial beers. One of the main reasons for this is that line resistance isn't a fixed number for a given line, but actually varies depending on fluid velocity. As mentioned above, you're going to need to add a lot of line resistance for a beer carbed that highly. Either really long lines, epoxy mixer sticks in the diptube, a flow control faucet, or combination of the above. Also, poly lines offer significantly less resistance than vinyl, FWIW.

Yuri rubs it out with 60 grit... wouldn't even feel a tenga egg. -Randar

, place entry ox dixla to suck. Fcxk fwnpoo and passed. Hel an my spupid ass. OK. - TXCrash

Old 01-31-2013, 01:33 AM   #4
ShockedHop
Recipes 

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Use this

http://www.mikesoltys.com/2012/09/17...our-kegerator/
This is great. I used it ( commercial kegs) and it worked perfect. I'm sure it would work for home brew as well
This is the carb chart as well
http://www.kegerators.com/carbonation-table.php
I have a 1/6 keg of sam adams alpine spring at 12 psi with 9' of 3/16" id beer line and all is well.
mrsoltys Likes This