Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Beginners Beer Brewing Forum > How long can a yeast cake sit before harvesting?

Old 01-26-2013, 02:30 PM   #1
jrodder
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default How long can a yeast cake sit before harvesting?

I have a bucket out in the garage from a batch I kegged 7 days ago. It got pretty cold during that time, very likely frozen, then thawed a bit. Is the yeast still viable after being frozen and thawed? I would assume so, I think I read about people freezing samples but I would like to be sure before I bother to wash and try to use it in the next batch.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:38 PM   #2
ColoHox
Compulsive Hand Washer
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 290 Times on 213 Posts
Likes Given: 390

7 days in a bucket with a freeze-thaw is not ideal. If you are going to reuse it you want it to be healthy. You could probably throw another beer in there and the yeast that are still alive would do their job. Although, why put 5 gallons of good wort through a sub-optimal fermentation? If it were me, I would collect a scoop and make a starter, then pitch that for the next batch.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:55 PM   #3
unionrdr
struggling author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 2908 Times on 2516 Posts
Likes Given: 2052

Harvesting it fresh would be better imo.

Old 01-26-2013, 03:40 PM   #4
jrodder
Recipes 

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 3

I should have been more clear, I wasn't planning on pitching onto the cake, Iwas going to harvest and make another starter, but for the price, I'll just let it go and buy a couple more packs and do it right next time. Thanks!