The Best Florida Beer Championships

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Better hurry, the deadline is next friday. I'm entering two, a vanilla pineapple barleywine aged on some whiskey oak chips (19C) and my smoked cranberry winter ale (21B). Last check, our LHBC has about 20 entries this year or so.

I've got six beers I'm dropping off at Southern Brewing on Monday for this. A Saison, Rustic Rye Saison, Belgian Blond with Pink Peppercorns, Berliner Weisse, and a Sorachi Ace Dry Hopped Berliner Weisse. This is my first time bothering with a competition, really looking forward to the feedback.

I've entered four. A dry stout, a blonde ale, an ESB, and an APA. This is my first competition so I am just hoping for some good feedback.

I can't remember if they mail us the score sheets or email them in, or both. I do remember I got a lot of praise for my tripel even though I think one of the bottles went flat (not sure what happened there), but it scored in the high 30's, which is respectable. My bing ding was in technical flaws from a flat beer.

Are you guys going to any of the events associated with BFBC? I just got my ticket for the awards dinner at the brewery and also the leftovers party at Southern.

I wish. Between student teaching, two kids and a Wife that works full time too, i'm lucky to get the time to go to Hunahpu.

I think I am going to the leftover party at Southern to drink all the losers!!! Didn't have time to brew for the BFBC, but hoping to enter a few competitions in the upcoming months. Only been brewing for a year, but would love some comments and feedback on my beers. Hope you guys all do well in the competition and I'm not drinking your beers that Friday at Southern!

Check your inboxes, the scans of the BJCP paperwork are out. They didn't exactly love my Barleywine (31 & 32 scores) but.... the score sheets on my smoked cranberry Belgian dubbel were great. One judge scored it a 42, the other a 46, for an average score of 44. Comments from the second round is that the beer needed more mulling spice. Meh. :)

I'm glad the first round judges loved it and it got as far as it did.

Got my scores back; the Rustic Rye Saison got a 41 with one judge calling it one of the best Saisons they have ever had! It got dinged in the second round for having Brett in and not being classified a sour. I call BS but still really happy with my score. The Hefe got a 38.5 and got knocked out of the second round because it didn't have enough banana, it leaned more to the clove side. This is fine with me since that's how I prefer my Hefe's. The great thing about that beer is I used Safale WB-06, who says you can't make a great wheat beer with dry yeast! My Berliner's were okay with a 32 for the normal Berliner Weisse and a 35.5 for the Sorachi Ace Dry Hopped version. My Saison was 26.5 and the Blond with Pink Peppercorns was 25.5. Little dissapointed that one was that low, they gigged me for it not being strong enough for a blond, but it was 6.5% and fell right in the BJCP guidlines. The spice was faint but Pink Peppercorns are more floral and aromatic trather than spicy. The judges even commented on the floral aroma but I don't think they were familiar with the ingredient. I think they expected a stronger peppery bite. Oh-well you win some you loose some. I think if I entered it / called it something else it wold have been fine.

Yep, it's a subjective process. I just like entering my beers to see what other people think about them. If they win anything, it's just icing on the cake. :)

Latest posts

Back