Coldbreak Brewing Giveaway - Open to All!

Home Brew Forums > Wine, Mead, Cider, Sake & Soda > Cider Forum > First Ever Homebrew, Cider

Old 02-04-2013, 11:43 PM   #21
JayBeer
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Thanks for the info.

Old 02-04-2013, 11:51 PM   #22
JayBeer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

So today was my tenth day of fermentation. There were only the slightest tiny bubbles left coming from my cider. I racked into a clean sanitary jug and bottled one with about a teaspoonful of honey to prime. I wanted to try this one before I bottle more and I also want to see if my cider will clear out any before I bottle more. Its been about three hrs since I racked and bottled the one and there is no activity. I'm worried that my yeast are done with, pooped out. What do youthink guys? I'm worried my cider wont carb

Old 02-04-2013, 11:59 PM   #23
WilliamSlayer
Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I usually prime by weight of fermentables. A good rule of thumb is one ounce of sugar/honey/malt extract per gallon of brew. How much does a teaspoonful of honey weigh?

Old 02-05-2013, 12:30 AM   #24
JayBeer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm not sure I just measured by teaspoon?

Old 02-05-2013, 12:52 AM   #25
WilliamSlayer
Recipes 

Liked 134 Times on 123 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Well, I will see if I can scrounge up a conversion! :-)

As for not having 'activity', remember that you are just priming the cider for carbination. You won't have anything noticeable for at least a week, and even then all you will 'see' is a thin layer of sediment at the bottom of your sealed bottle (this is yeast settling out after chewing up the little bit of honey you added). Keep the sealed bottle @ around 70 F for at least a week or two. By the end of that time, it should have carbed up nicely! :-)
JayBeer Likes This 
Old 02-07-2013, 02:25 AM   #26
JayBeer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSlayer View Post
Well, I will see if I can scrounge up a conversion! :-)

As for not having 'activity', remember that you are just priming the cider for carbination. You won't have anything noticeable for at least a week, and even then all you will 'see' is a thin layer of sediment at the bottom of your sealed bottle (this is yeast settling out after chewing up the little bit of honey you added). Keep the sealed bottle @ around 70 F for at least a week or two. By the end of that time, it should have carbed up nicely! :-)
Wow, thanks a lot for the info, IDK why i was under the impression that carbing was supposed to look like fermenting? I was expecting to see bubbles coming from the bottom of my bottle, and fizz??? I guess its all the talk about bottle bombs that led me to this ass-umption

But now, i see a thin layer of sediment at the bottom of the one grolsch bottle that I bottled, and after only three days, it has cleared markedly!

Thanks again, I think i will finish out the remainder of the week clearing out my batch, then bottle all of the rest.

Might play with sugar/honey/br. sugar/concentrate, so I can find what I like best for my next batch.

to the brew cave!!!

Old 02-07-2013, 02:38 AM   #27
DrZym802
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I have a 3 gal batch sitting in wine bottles right now that was:

3gal unpasteurized local cider
1 cup dk brown sugar
1 cup lt brown sugar
1/2# local wildflower honey

It was pitched with wyeast 4766 cider yeast.

After the primary fermentation I cold crashed, and added concentrate to the secondary (this ended up fermenting some more) the 4766 can really eat through sugar. All in all. Been in for 3 months and still far from ready.

Old 02-07-2013, 02:43 AM   #28
DrZym802
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 2 Posts

Long story short...if your lookin for a sweeter cider you might want to consider a British ale yeast. Also if I do it again I might substitute turbinado sugar for the lt BS to give it more depth.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:57 AM   #29
JayBeer
Recipes 

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrZym802 View Post
Long story short...if your lookin for a sweeter cider you might want to consider a British ale yeast. Also if I do it again I might substitute turbinado sugar for the lt BS to give it more depth.
I will consider this. Thanks.

I was thinking that your recipe had a lot of sugar, but then, I was still thinking in one gallon-er mind set, haha!

So you cold crashed, then primed?

What is the pro/con of cold crashing first? Clarity, is what Im guessing?

Thanks for the help/info.

Old 02-07-2013, 03:52 PM   #30
DrZym802
HBT_SUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Liked 7 Times on 2 Posts

I'm sure someone with more experience can help...I was basically trying to back sweeten and failed to clear the yeast...they survived and munched through the concentrate. I now have more of an apple wine than a hard cider per se.