What are the techniques for adding hops? - Home Brew Forums
Home Brew Forums > Home Brewing Beer > Extract Brewing > What are the techniques for adding hops?

Old 01-25-2013, 11:35 PM   #1
RMS
Recipes 

Oct 2012
New Bedford, MA
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Hey guys,

My history is two extract brews and both did not have hops. I want to experiment now using some hops but I am not sure how. If I use pellets do I just drop an ounce into the wort? And then I see they sell a Stainless Hop Steeper do I need this? Then there are Leaf hops, if I use leaf then do I have to strain the wort as its pored into the fermenter?

Old 01-25-2013, 11:41 PM   #2
Knecht_Rupprecht
Recipes 

Aug 2012
Needham, MA
Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

So yes you would just drop the hops in ( leaf or pellet). I am allow and sprinkle because there is an opportunity for boil over if you're not careful.

You don't need a stainless hop catcher. I'd you wanted you could use a mesh bag that they sell at any homebrew shop. I personally would use pellets and try to limit the trub you pour into the fermenter.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:42 PM   #3
biohaz7331
Recipes 

Aug 2012
Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Most extract kits will come with pellet hops that you just drop into the wort at specific time intervals. So you really did kits that did not have a single ounce of hops? Were they very sweet? I am just asking out of curiosity because I have never seen a kit that did not use some hops.

Old 01-25-2013, 11:49 PM   #4
Frankiesurf
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Dec 2011
Medford, NY
Liked 37 Times on 20 Posts

Most likely pre-hopped LME.

Drop your hops in at the recommended times SLOWLY to avoid a boil over. When transferring to a fermenter, it depends on your fermenter. For a bucket, when I use a lot of hops, I put two five gallon paint strainer bags in the bucket with a strainer on top. this way you catch most of the stuff getting into your bucket.

For a carboy, use an auto siphon with a couple of paint strainer bags wrapped around it. That should keep most of it out of your carboy.

Old 01-26-2013, 12:07 AM   #5
RMS
Recipes 

Oct 2012
New Bedford, MA
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

@biohaz7331: I may have said kit in error it was really my own kit using LME and some DME; 1 can had hops added and the other did not and yes that one was lacking the bitterness. Actually I am buying that John Q. Adams Marblehead Lager kit tonight!

But I am also going to do another American Ale kit BUT I am going to experiment with different hop varieties and divide the kit to 5-1 gallon glass wine jugs I got hanging around just to get familiar with the different flavors.

Thanks for all the feed back!

Old 01-26-2013, 12:32 AM   #6
beerbeerbeer123
Recipes 

Jan 2013
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knecht_Rupprecht View Post
So yes you would just drop the hops in ( leaf or pellet). I am allow and sprinkle because there is an opportunity for boil over if you're not careful.

You don't need a stainless hop catcher. I'd you wanted you could use a mesh bag that they sell at any homebrew shop. I personally would use pellets and try to limit the trub you pour into the fermenter.
I use muslin bags never had a problem..cheap as dirt too

Old 01-26-2013, 01:07 AM   #7
EDS2K
Recipes 

Nov 2010
Laporte, Indiana

Nylon bags for me - last forever (4 years so far). One for grains, one for hops and Irish moss.

Stainless infuser for dry hopping.

Old 01-26-2013, 02:18 AM   #8
RMS
Recipes 

Oct 2012
New Bedford, MA
Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerbeerbeer123 View Post
I use muslin bags never had a problem..cheap as dirt too
This seems like a good idea to me. Are all the muslin bags made from cotton?

Old 01-26-2013, 02:27 AM   #9
beerbeerbeer123
Recipes 

Jan 2013
Liked 12 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RMS View Post
This seems like a good idea to me. Are all the muslin bags made from cotton?
Yup just plain ol cotton..I rinse them first just to give them a little cleaning..also like eds2k mentioned nylon bags are good too if not better..but i prefer muslins just a preference

Old 01-26-2013, 02:41 PM   #10
unionrdr
Heavyweight homebrewing author
HBT_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Recipes 

Feb 2011
Sheffield, Ohio
Liked 3666 Times on 3150 Posts

I have muslin hop & grain sacks for this purpose. Hop sacks for pellets & grain sacks for whole leaf hops,since they have a greater volume per the same weight. With my cleaning method,mine look like new 2 years later.
New! John Henry- https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GBV3UXU